Cheap Mgt. (long post, sorry)

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
ranwin33

RE: Cheap Mgt. (long post, sorry)

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:34 am

If you are going to do it, use a soil sample, otherwise you're just wasting your money.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:32 pm

What brand of seed do you guys prefer? I have been looking online a lot lately and i know about Imperial, Rackmaster and Tecomate stuff so far and i have gone to wildlifeseeds.com to look around, i have found that to be the best site so far. I think we want to plant about 3 acres or so give or take, we wanted 5 all together but i guess i should try to be practical lol. So far i think i want some Chicory, Clover, Alfalfa and maybe something else a little different maybe more exotic for the area if you will lol [:D] Just wondering what you all think or have experienced. Also was wondering what "blends" of seeds would go well together, like mixing different types together to be more attractive to deer? Thanks a lot guys!!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:05 pm

I would suggest visiting your local co-op. They can offer you some blends that will suit your local climate and soil type. They can also save you some money.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:12 am

I've tried a lot of different things - most from the local feed store.  But I've also tried some Tecomate, Pennington, Biologic, and Whitetail Institute.  My preference is the Tecomate and Pennington.

We put in a Durana clover plot last year and I've got to say I'm very impressed with it so far.  I could only find the Durana through Pennington seeds.  Doing the foodplot right, with proper liming and fertilizer might also have something to do with how well it turned out - I spent a little bit of money on it. 

When I was up about a month ago I was looking at the plot and how short it was figuring that it being new it just wasn't that established yet.  Then I looked closer and noticed that all the clover was grazed down.  That was encouraging.  I'm very hopeful it will be only better next year.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:08 pm

I picked up the land mgt. issue of D&DH on friday. I haven't read it too much yet but i read the 7 Best Plots article and i learned a whole lot just from that, so that was encouraging. Is it bad i kinda want this season to come to an end so i can get to work on the land? lol! The rut should be full blown in a week or so, so that has me living in the present time for now lol ;)

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:04 am

Do you notice any different results in the feed from the local feed store compared to the name brand seeds like Bio-Logic/Whitetail Institute?
No Sacrifice, No Victory!

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management