Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Jslotter

Re: Jimmy Houston - High Fence Hunt

Postby Jslotter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:26 pm

So, then the deer basically become your property, and those fences are put up to keep trespassers out? Am I correct?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Jslotter wrote:So, then the deer basically become your property, and those fences are put up to keep trespassers out? Am I correct?

Absolutely not.

Deer in Texas are considered state property. I have the right to fence them in but the state owns them unless I have a deer breeder's license, (yeah, it's weird).

And no, you don't need high fences to fence out tresspassers here. You just need to mark your property, and every 200 yards or so you need to mark it with purple paint. Then, if someone is ignorant enough to tresspass, you can (and God bless Texas, most of us agree) you can/should shoot to kill them.

High fences are strictly to keep the deer (indiginous to your property, or stocked on your property), from being shot by the freeloader (who invested in a whole 10 acres on your border) from killing a deer you spent god knows how much money raising and developing to trophy status.

Now, I know that doesn't compute to someone who likes to leech from someone who invests time money and effort into a valued product. But to those who do understand private property rights, the free enterprise system, and have the integrity to respect another's hard work and investment....... it makes all the sense in the world.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 pm

BigIron wrote:
Jslotter wrote:Is there a reason for putting up a high fence around a 10,000 acre block of land? Whats the purpose of the fence?

I may spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in habitat improvement, feeding, genetic improvement etc., only to allow the neighbor to shoot the product of my efforts and expense. A high fence guarantees that I can reap the benefits of my expense and efforts.

kind of sounds like what we do here in WI, only we don't put up a fence and most of us don't have thousands of acres. the deer don't belong to us, but by fencing them in, you're basically saying they are like a cat, dog, cow...etc. i don't get it. i'm 100% against high fence i don't care if it's 5 acres or a million.
QDM!

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:19 am

buckhunter21 wrote:
BigIron wrote:
Jslotter wrote:Is there a reason for putting up a high fence around a 10,000 acre block of land? Whats the purpose of the fence?

I may spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in habitat improvement, feeding, genetic improvement etc., only to allow the neighbor to shoot the product of my efforts and expense. A high fence guarantees that I can reap the benefits of my expense and efforts.

kind of sounds like what we do here in WI, only we don't put up a fence and most of us don't have thousands of acres. the deer don't belong to us, but by fencing them in, you're basically saying they are like a cat, dog, cow...etc. i don't get it. i'm 100% against high fence i don't care if it's 5 acres or a million.
Thats where I differ. While Im not hunting high fence, I 100% support property rights and one choice to protect their investments.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:19 am

buckhunter21 wrote:
BigIron wrote:

The deer on my high fenced ranches behave no different from deer anywhere else. I actually have more cover than anyone in the more populated states. Some years we NEVER see deer that we saw the year before, only to have them show again the next year on game cams.

High fences are a product of large ranches being legally robbed of their assets. When you sink millions into ranch/hunting initial cost and improvement, and then a bunch of guys get together and buy the 2,000 acres bordering you and split it into 30 acre parcels and then line stands up on your border to draw and kill the deer you are trying to protect until maturity... you put up a high fence or just accept defeat.

Your statement about being against high fences "regardless of size" points strongly to it being based in emotion, not fact. I'm not confused about the fact that you'll never support another person's right to hunt and provide hunting that is counter to your idea of what is fair chase.

I do enjoy the feeble attempts by several here to justify the unjustifiable though. Freedom and personal property rights rule here. That some would attack those principles to enable leeching does not surprise me. It entertains me.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Im getting a little tired of arguing over this actually. I just want to open my mind a little and instead of spewing and get some clean answers to the questions I have regarding this high fence ordeal. I still won't agree with it, but I personally want to settle this on a good note and not a bad one. The rest of you all can argue all you want.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:46 pm

Hey I'm back...Been a while! Just thought I'd push this up to the top.......
QDM!

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 am

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks Shaman. I saved that picture to my iphoto...we will see it again.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:35 am

And no, you don't need high fences to fence out tresspassers here. You just need to mark your property, and every 200 yards or so you need to mark it with purple paint. Then, if someone is ignorant enough to tresspass, you can (and God bless Texas, most of us agree) you can/should shoot to kill them. (quote: Bigiron)

Shoot to kill trespassing on your land who are shooting the State's deer. Ignorance is a capitol offense in Texas? Really, are we doing that now! Break into my house, not that's a different story.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions