Your Lowest Stand height

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
PrairieShadow

RE: Your Lowest Stand height

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:48 pm

ORIGINAL: JOEL

my lowest stand height is sitting on the ground[:D] sorry i couldnt resist

Excellent point!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 pm

all my stands are 10 feet up but I don't move when I'm on the stand like I was told in boot camp move and the your dead sit still and they will walk past you I have had does look up at me and stomp there foot on the ground tring to get me to move and I just sat there they got tired of tring to scare me by pounding there foot on the ground then they forget about me and inside I laugh as I slip the arrow threw there vitals or my slug

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:36 pm

You make a very good point AfterShock! It's not so much the height of the stand, but the stealth of the hunter!

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:46 am

i agree 100% with aftershock and paulie. i climb into alot of trees without tree stands to get 6, 7ft off the ground, its better than bein on the ground but yeah your at a disadvantage compared to 20ft off the ground. The key is to be well hidden and ofcourse always have the wind in your favor. I dont want to see the deer until its into shooting range, a good place for this is around thickets with some shooting lanes. And you can only really pull back a bow when there defiantly not looking at you (remember they have great peripheral vision). but if your being still they probably wont see you, there vision is fixed on movement. so get in a 20 footer if you can, but dont be afraid to get in a short stand just remember to hide it much better. nothin as exciting as being face to face with a big buck at close range.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:50 am

ORIGINAL: RatherBeHuntin24/7

nothin as exciting as being face to face with a big buck at close range.

Agree 100%. I took my biggest archery buck to date from the ground, face to face, @ 6 yds. What a rush that was!!!!

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:05 pm

I agree there is nothing as nice as being able to see them blink and know they have no idea you are there

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:44 am

I built a stand in a pine that sits right on the edge of a steep hill...5ft off the ground...Mr B. and his family hunt low to the ground with gaurdrails at camp...no bow hunters....and here at the house all my stands are 16-20+ft up with no gaurdrails...but I use a safety harness and they won't...so I built that stand for him...it over looks an area they use to cross the road

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:00 pm

The lowest I will go is 20 ft most of my other stands are all 30 to 35 ft. Since I have started going higher in the tree I have not been spotted in the tree.

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:44 pm

All my ladder/permanent stands are 20 feet. When I climb I go until my pull rope is tight (25 ft rope to the bottom of the platform). If you pick a tree without cover try to get at least 25 feet. If you pick a tree with good cover to break up your silouette I think you can get away really low, 10-12 feet.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:54 am

All my trees are really small so if i went over 20ft i would be strapped to a twig.[8|]  I think my highest is 18ft. and lowest is about 12ft but they all have good background cover.

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands