Rattle or Bleat?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
TheHoglandWonder

Rattle or Bleat?

Postby TheHoglandWonder » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:55 pm

I am unfortunate not to have a nice thick woods to hunt, however, i did get permission to hunt off of a fence row. The first year I hunted it I shot a nice doe (turned out it was a button buck) at seventeen yards, eight feet high, on an extremely foggy thanksgiving morning. Last year I saw three shooter doe but didn't shoot because it was twenty yards farther than I want to. My question is since Im out in the middle of no-where is it worth trying to rattle, bleat, or grunt. There is a big woods about two hundred yards north and a tiny woods east of me about ninety yards away. Might I mention a hunt real close to U.S. 27 

JOEL

RE: Rattle or Bleat?

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:13 pm

if the does are the there the bucks may come a calling try using doe bleats instead of rattling.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

TheHoglandWonder

Postby TheHoglandWonder » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Thank you for the reply-will the "can" do alright

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:28 pm

the can and some grunt tubes let you do bleats .true talker is one
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:00 pm

I have used the Can, Rattling Antlers and the Grunt tube.  The only success I've ever had in WI is on the grunt tube.  I've never "seen" a deer respond, or come to my call with either the can or the antlers.  I am pretty good with the tube though.  Getting at least a few bucks to come in, and come well within bow range with it, when I actually use it.  I use the the True Talker now.  However, most of my success came off of the "Ridge Runner" by Quaker Boy.  It is a little less dominate (although you can set your True Talker to different vocalizations).  The pitch seems to be just right, without messing around with it too much.  Just my opinion, and success.  Good luck!

Edit:  I do hold my hand over the end of the tube, and "cup" it.  That might have something to do with it as well.  Just my opinion, based on success.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:56 am

If you see deer chasing, use a can in combination with a grunt tube.  Should sound like a doe and a buck are together.  Nothing like making another big guy jealous.  I had a nice 11 pointer come busting in hard when I did just that last year.

If this doesn't work, then try rattling and see if anything takes notice.  I have had deer come to a rattle, although not frequently. I've also had a deer come in when I was busting ice out of a seat in a treestand, sounded like rattling, so I count this as well.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

TheHoglandWonder

Postby TheHoglandWonder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:28 am

I did forget to mention that I will be in my stand from Nov 15 to end of december. But I will try bleatin and gruttin-Thanks

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:34 am

I like to beat and wait a short time then give a grunt or two.  It's worked several times for me.  Like someone said earlier it might trigger a jealous reaction.  You might also consider a decoy.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:06 pm

Was waiting for the decoy to come out.  Might give it a try in same situation myself if I had it.  Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

TheHoglandWonder

Postby TheHoglandWonder » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:22 am

Ill have to give the decoy a try, will have to see if decoys are legal in Indiana though. Anybody know the answer?? How far out in the field should a decoy be placed from a stand, and how close to the fence row. It appears to be that I'm going to be hunting a evening walker. 

Next

Return to Best Practices