The Essence of Hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

Re: RE: The Essence of Hunting

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:46 pm

hunter480 wrote: I hunt for lot`s of reasons, some I can express, some I can`t because I either cannot find the words, or else, it would be like trying to explain a color to someone who`s always been blind....just not possible.

I hunt because my heart always races when I see deer. Because I love the times I`m able to outwit them, and wind up close to them. I love smoothing their coat as I kneel next to them after I`ve killed them....I don`t harvest them, I kill them. I hunt because I love being in the last of the wild places. Love being out in the cold when I could be in the warmth of the house in front of the television. I love the sunrises and sunsets in the woods, or in the field. I cannot even describe how my heart nearly comes up in my throat when I hear the steady crunch of what can only be, hooves approaching in the leaves, or on the frost covered ground. I hunt because it takes me back to a time when American`s had to hunt to put food on the table, a time when American`s were much more self-reliant. I hunt because I love seeing all the wildlife I see when I`m on stand. I hunt because I love handling firearms, ammunition and knives. I hunt because it put`s me in touch, whether in the flesh, or on the web, with some of the finest people on this planet. I hunt because, in this Country, even the comman man can pursue game, and I`m as common as they come. I hunt because it put`s me squarely in God`s most magnificant cathedral, it gives me time to sit on stand, and hear that "small, still Voice". I hunt because I know every time I kill, I`ve re-entered the "circle of life", and I`m again a participant in the most basic, even if sometimes brutal, routine on the planet, securing meat. I hunt because I simply love the taste of batter coated, fried venison tenderloin steak, and as I like to say before every meal......let us prey.

Well said....He will be missed. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Bowriter

Re: The Essence of Hunting

Postby Bowriter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:55 am

The only thing in that statement I don't agree with are the words harvesting and bagging . I kill. I don't harvest or bag and I am sick and tired of this politically correct bs.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:00 am

Bowriter wrote:The only thing in that statement I don't agree with are the words harvesting and bagging . I kill. I don't harvest or bag and I am sick and tired of this politically correct bs.

Bowwriter, I don't know what you are objecting too. "Bagging" was not used in this statement. and as to "harvesting" here is the quote. " I love smoothing their coat as I kneel next to them after I`ve killed them....I don`t harvest them, I kill them."

I don't care for PC either, but I didn't see any. :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:17 am

Kell: I believe that Bowriter was refering to the opening post of this thread where the OP was citing a quote by John Eberhart from his book....

"Developing your skill in harvesting deer and enjoying the sport of bowhunting for many years will be far more rewarding than bagging that one trophy buck of a lifetime."

And just for the record, I also agree wholeheartedly with 480's post, Bowriters and with Eberhart's. It's just the PC wording makes me cringe.

We're hunters, we hunt. The purpose of the hunt is to make meat. To do that we must kill. Simple as that.

We don't, and certainly don't have to kill everything we see, and don't. But as Ortage y Gasset wrote in his "Meditations On Hunting"....

"......one does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 pm

That is correct. Saved me going back and doing that copy paste thing. Those terms and others use bother me a little. Now they just about pi--me off. I'm tired of this namby pamby crap. I also hate dirt nap, smoked, he'down, and all the other words used to make the person who said them "cute". Cripes, he isn;t down, he is freakin dead.

Part of my rant for today.

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:02 am

I couldnt agree with you guys more.
I've hunted since the age of 12 alone-nobody else in the family hunts or can understand why I get so crazy about it for. I was introduced to hunting by a friend of mine back in middle school and the itch comes back every year.
I love to read books on how the old timers did it and think about how times have changed. this usually helps me go to sleep most nights.
I finally have found a group of friends that have a deer camp in the northwoods of Wisconsin, but they aren't serious hunters as they sleep in until noon when I usually have a deer back in camp.
Always wanted to be part of a serious group of hunters in a camp, in the North Woods of Wisconsin-guess this is as close as i am every going to get. I have never found anyone else that liked to scout for deer on weekends and just to be in the wild, trying to see how close you can get to a deer before spooking it, or seeing if my guess of where a deer will come out is true.
Deer hunting is something of a romance with the outdoors, sort of what fly fishing is to fishing.
When it all comes down to it, you are in a one on one situation when taking that shot.
Dont know about you guys, but when I harvest a deer, i have strange thoughts in my head wondering if the first settlers or Indians ever shot a deer in this spot and what would my ancestors think of what I was doing. I dunno, I guess I just count my blessings that I have the ability to be able to hunt and fish whenever I feel like it.

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 am

While I dont share your apparent anger bowriter I do agree with you for the most part. Saying you "harvested" a deer, by definition isnt really even the right word in the first place. Just say you killed it. But at the same time I can understand why people say harvest and not kill. Kinda the same reason I call a gun a "firearm" and not a "weapon". It just sounds better.

ArkansasJoseph

Postby ArkansasJoseph » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:53 am

I'm a new hunter (haven't even killed a deer yet). I'm about as conservative, and anti-PC as you can get, I think.

I actually like "harvest". Indeed, it doesn't seem to be the original use of the word.

To me, it indicates that a concious decision was made in the particular animal being killed, in quality, trait, and/or numbers. It can also imply, to those in the know, the year-long preparation of the land used to hunt.

I believe it combats the ignorant perception of a narrow-minded, drunk person shooting anything that moves in the woods. I definately *don't* use it to avoid saying "killed", "field dress", or "butcher"!

-ArkansasJoseph

Previous

Return to General Discussions