Breathing-nose or mouth

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Goose

Breathing-nose or mouth

Postby Goose » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:08 pm

Probably a silly question but I was wondering if you breathe out of your nose instead of your mouth is your breath gonna be different smelling. When I'm on stand I always try to breathe with my nose and keep my mouth shut, just curious if that makes a difference?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JOEL

RE: Breathing-nose or mouth

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:12 pm

dont know if it makes a difference but i breathe through my noise with my mouth slightly open(supposedly you hear better) .when its real cold i pull my face mask up and breath through my mouth to warm my body up
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:37 pm

I dont think that it matters.. I breath both ways while hunting.. If you think about it, you breath both ways as well when you see a deer and get buck fever. I dont think it matters with the smell.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Having worked with a co-worker with halitosis, I can tell you that cadaver-in-the-mouth syndrome is inescapable.  If you got the stink, it comes out of your nose as well as your mouth. In that guy's case, it seemed to just fill the room and would arrive at work a couple of minutes before he did.   Now that's a pretty exaggerated example, but if you look how a doe reacts when she busts you, I think it's a valid comparison.  A good case of garlic breath probably does the same thing.

His was due to to rotting teeth. My boss offered him a loan of $1K to go find a dentist and have them fixed.

If you suspect bad breath, brush your teeth well and then gargle with sodium bicarbonate.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:50 am

I doubt that it matters one way or another from a scent stand point.  I have noticed that when deer do come by I tend to breath through my mouth more, most likely from excitement.  This in turn causes my mouth dry out making me want to cough, not a good thing. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:52 am

Don't know if it matters or not, but I usually keep mouth closed and breath through the nose. Primarliy to keep mouth moist and from drying out. Avoid coughing like ranwin33 said. 

I also have heard to always breath through your nose and exhale through the mouth for warmth, but it has never keeped me wram when it is 15 degrees in December![;)]
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:53 pm

I read a piece that said that 90% of human odor comes from the mouth.  I can't say if this is true, but it sounds possible.  I try to breath from my nose as much as possible.  If I get excited I try to breath in with my mouth and out through my nose.  This seems to help calm me unless the rack is too big and then I worry more about the smell coming from the opposite end more!!Image Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:27 pm

I usually wear a full face mask that only leaves my eyes open, and if anyone else has, its difficult to breath through the mouth with one, so Ive eventualy trained myself to breath through my nose, and so its more of a habit now than anything...but mouth breathing comes in when that great buck walks out and just take a couple deep breaths...do you think that masks cut back on odor sent out by breathing through your mouth?
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:36 am

hiddenhorns...said it ...in warm weather it's now a habbit to breath through my nose..I find that I pin my tongue to the roof of my mouth... blocking my throat from air....no dry coughs...but once the temps hit the 30's...well no nice way to put this...my nose is like a faucet and nothing I do helps...I actually have to back it with cotton and breath through my mouth 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Train yourself to hold your breath for 4 hours. That's infallible.

If you can't, gargling with doe urine is a great cover scent. Just don't do it if you're hunting on the ground, because that buck can be on you in no time............[:D]

Seriously....WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???? You are trying to KILL the deer, not make-out with it!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Best Practices