Hunting Camps In Wisconsin

hot tamale

Hunting Camps In Wisconsin

Postby hot tamale » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:22 am

Just wondered who on here belongs to a hunting camp here in Wisconsin?
What do you guys do that makes it unique?
Any traditions or stories you care to share? (remember what happens in camp stays in camp so change the names to protect the not-so-innocent).
Do you accept new members?
Where is your camp and what area do you hunt?

I am looking for a serious hunting camp to become part of, but I would also like to hear your stories.

unclebuck

Re: Hunting Camps In Wisconsin

Postby unclebuck » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:10 am

Although Im not sure if it qualifies as a "deer camp" I go to my in-laws house every opening weekend. Me and my wife, her parents, her sister and brother and his girlfriend and two kids. Only three of us hunt (the three guys). A lot of drinking, a TON of food, good stories, games, and of course hunting. It gets crowded and the kids get loud, but I look forward to it every year. Even the people that dont hunt look forward to it. I cant wait for this year.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:49 pm

I've been going to the same camp for 15 years now. Prior to that, I was driving back to MN every year to hunt with my cousin on my Uncle's farm.

My current camp was started in the 60's by my best friend's grandfather near Amberg, WI in DMU 41. We have anywhere from 8 to 16 guys from all parts of the state and country. Guys from every corner of the state of WI and from HI and TX. Ages range from the early 30's into the 70's and we're now starting to get the next generation up and into the spirit of the hunt. There have been some pretty lean years and some pretty good years, but in the end they are all good times with great friends.

This area definitely requires one to be a better than average hunter in order to fill your tag year in and year out. Very little in the form of farm fields, mostly swamps and forest. The last several years have seen both the state and county starting to log off large areas again and the deer have responded well. The future looks bright for the deer and will certainly be bright for the camp with the next generation starting to show some interest.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:48 pm

My family used to have a decent get together during the weekend opener of rifle season back in the 90's. It was, I guess, a camp. Friends and family, beer, and killing deer. Those were fun times. It doesn't exist anymore. Hunting seasons have never been the same over the last decade since the 'camp' began to die out. People getting older and having kids, schedule conflicts, and the bad economy took its toll. I always dream of being a part of one again someday.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 pm

I've been thinking about getting a group of hunters together to purchase some acreage bordering lumber company land and the state/national forest. I've heard horror stories about when a guy gets divorced his wife got his share of the cabin, etc.
There would have to be legal documents preventing such things of course.
The group I go with now just doesnt get as excited about hunting as i do.
Come Sept. i am starting to get the itch and the memories of past hunts start filling my head during extended day dreams.
I buy the topo maps, print off Google earth aerial views, scout, scout and scout some more.

The guys i go with sleep in late on opening morning, might go out opening weekend (it's a crap shoot with them). I dont need them to have a good time but i guess i am looking for something more. They are great guys dont get me wrong.

What bothers me the most is that I do all the scouting and they expect me to put them in productive places/ on deer runways, etc.
They havent washed their hunting clothes for years, smelling like wood smoke, dont sight in, etc.
One year i came across one of the supposed better hunters of the group and he was following a deer trail----backwards!! no he wasnt looking where the deer had come from on purpose, he was stalking or still hunting.

if they do decide to actually get out in the morning and i havent found them a place, they sort of hunt in the same general area as i do and usually scare the deer out of the area. I tried to use them to my advantage, but that tactic only worked once, they just dont sit still.
I actually had to walk the guy out to a stand (I bought stands for each of the 6 guys in camp) because he never came up north for a scouting weekend.

Very frustrating. thinking of leaving them and would like to find a new camp or start one of my own. doesnt have to be pretty, just camaraderie and equal participation in the chores and upkeep of the cabin.

leaving for scouting this weekend. The rut is in full swing up there so I hope i spy some nice fat boys roamin' the woods. I know the pattern will change from now to gun season, but just finding some doe areas would be great. hitting the lowland swamp corridors first to find crossing areas. then i'll run the tracks in both directions to find the latest feeding and bedding areas.

well good luck to all. stay safe!!! :D

Retch Crabtree

Postby Retch Crabtree » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 am

Our hunting camp starts gathering at the start of the deer season in mid September. We get to enjoy hunting camp and deer in Sept. while many have to wait until mid-November until they can enjoy the high life. The orange 9-dayers are missing out. ;)

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:51 am

I would love to bowhunt but due to having permanent shakes from something called essential tremor, i cant hold my bow steady for a waiting shot. I would need to have a doctors note to get the disabled permit fromt the DNR to use a crossbow. I was honest with my neurologist about what I wanted, she told me she wouldnt recommend the permit because she is opposed to hunting.
I went to a different doctor and he thinks it can be controlled with prescription drugs. It can be somewhat controlled with these drugs, however they make me drowsy and I am not and will not put a weapon in my hands under the influence of any type of narcotic.
So therefore I am stuck.
I would still love to be part of a camp in Sept. though. sounds like fun and some serious hunters. I like scouting then as well because it gets my blood boiling for the gun season.
by the way, the reason i can gun hunt is that i am able to use shooting sticks as well as having a heavier gun to reduce my shakiness. resting against the side of a tree or a shooting rail also helps me. Just thought i'd throw that out there cuz im sure somebody would question it.
good luck to all this year. be safe!!!

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 pm

hot tamale wrote:I would love to bowhunt but due to having permanent shakes from something called essential tremor, i cant hold my bow steady for a waiting shot. I would need to have a doctors note to get the disabled permit fromt the DNR to use a crossbow. I was honest with my neurologist about what I wanted, she told me she wouldnt recommend the permit because she is opposed to hunting.
I went to a different doctor and he thinks it can be controlled with prescription drugs. It can be somewhat controlled with these drugs, however they make me drowsy and I am not and will not put a weapon in my hands under the influence of any type of narcotic.
So therefore I am stuck.
I would still love to be part of a camp in Sept. though. sounds like fun and some serious hunters. I like scouting then as well because it gets my blood boiling for the gun season.
by the way, the reason i can gun hunt is that i am able to use shooting sticks as well as having a heavier gun to reduce my shakiness. resting against the side of a tree or a shooting rail also helps me. Just thought i'd throw that out there cuz im sure somebody would question it.
good luck to all this year. be safe!!!

Can a doctor deny you the permit because "they are against hunting"? Denying a patient something for a personal reason doesnt exactly sound legal.

Retch Crabtree

Postby Retch Crabtree » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 am

This is the final weekend of deer hunting camp and the last weekend of good bowhunting before the orange 9 dayers screw it up.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Yup, F the gun hunting slobs.

Next

Return to Wisconsin