2012 Harvest Pictures

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
SwampLife

2012 Harvest Pictures

Postby SwampLife » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am

I couldn't find a photo thread for 2012 kills except the Wisconsin one... So i guess this will be the thread?

South Florida, public land. Muzzleloader. Deer appears to be 5.5+. 155 lbs. Stalked to within spitting distance of him as he tended a doe.
Attachments
photo copy.JPG
photo copy.JPG (642.59 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Sailfish

Re: 2012 Harvest Pictures

Postby Sailfish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Nice start to the season!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:26 am

Nice Job Swamp. That didn't take long! From what i've seen, you seem to have had consistant success these past few years. Your doing something right....keep it up.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Works for me. Was the 155lbs gutted or on the hoof? ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:48 am

Doe Harvest........

IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG (196.76 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:36 am

Good Shootin' Badgie!! Looks like I'm getting rained out this weekend... not happy about it either...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:44 am

Nicely done Ma'am. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks guys and Congrats swamplife....nice buck
Here's the story...since 4am on Friday morning until now...I'm working on 2 hrs sleep ...Thank heavens the temps here are still in low to mid 40's....will have to quarter her early in the morning Sunday...

I found the doe I shot at 6pm yesterday....they came in behind me in a first time(this season) stand..after getting caught 3 times I calculated the route they were taking to get to me...sure enough 6pm and in they came...but in stuff I had no shot so I turned and got ready for a shot as they hit a trail that goes straight up hill from me...I had one opening and it would give a slight quartering away rt side shot...I shot and she tipped over then ran like a scalded cat through thick cover...I stayed in the tree and the other deer milled around where she was hit...one fawn stopped and sniffed and licked the spot...after they moved off I quietly got down...I walked the trail and the arrow ...didn't look good...I immediately went home....visions of yotes dancing through my head...at 12: 45a.m. I headed back out and trailed her zig zagging blood trail up then down and across hill...150yrds later a white belly...I didn't go farther for still not sure...feet frozen mouth dry...and legs cold....getting a drink ...a drag rope...had gutting gear ..but for got the drag...will gut and drag her out closer to the road...then pick her up...no yotes yet but I better get a move on

The blood trail was good...spotty at first then a solid line for 70-80 feet then spotty again....some blood bright red some nearly blk...as much as she lost in the solid trail...I'm really surprised she went as far as she did..jumping logs to boot....one down ...pressure(self imposed is) off

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Could you tell what damage the arrow did? I'm guessing part of the liver, some parts, if you don't hit one of the large veins, will bleed out slower. Although, once, I did see a heart shot go 150yds.. Reason being, the buck was on high alert, pumped up with adrenalin.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:26 am

Hey Charlie...
I was just sick when I found the arrow.....a translucent green slim with specs in it...no blood at all...I went rt home and got on the net to re-read about gut shots...Well this doe did nothing that all the stuff I read said she would...from sign on the arrow one would have thought a solid intestinal hit...she ran full board at the shot and never stopped...the blood trail was really a good one ...she did bed...but once and died...When I gutted her I made sure to thoroughly check to see what was hit...Mind you she was was moving as the arrow impacted her due to hearing the release...which is the only explanation of how it sliced through her....
The very top front of gut near lungs was nicked...one lung taken out and the liver...the 3 blades clearly showed 1/2 in off the side of it..
She was still warm and not at all stiff when I went back the second time...Thank heaven the nick to gut was in such a position that contents did not spill into cavity.....the only matter that got on her was when I pulled the organs forward to cut the diaphragm...and It was on the fur around the breast bone so I easily cut it out......the temp was 28 degrees...which probably helped in putting her in shock...the wait time to track was close I think...but in no way was I going to allow the yotes to get her...or worse have them find her half dead...wouldn't have handled that thought well

Next

Return to Photo Corner