Hunting from treestand in the rain

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
mag30079

Hunting from treestand in the rain

Postby mag30079 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:18 am

I just checked the weather report for my next hunt and there saying rain. I've never hunted out of my treestand in the rain. I usally get my ground blind out when it rains. How many of you hunt from a tree stand in the rain?
I'm not worried about getting wet my hunting suit is water proof, but I use a climber and am worried about saftey. This spot I was planning on hunting, a ground blind won't work. Plus the wind looks to be perfect.
Pros/conns

Thanks

JOEL

RE: Hunting from treestand in the rain

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:02 pm

well unless your stand really digs into the tree i wouldn't do it.those trees get very slippery you might wind up sliding down the tree REAL FAST.also in a heavy rain your blood trail is gonna disappear REAL QUICK.i GOT THE SAME WEATHER REPORT FOR SATURDAY,STILL NOT SURE ABOUT GOING ,HOPEFULLY IT'LL CLEAR UP ,sorry caps loc left on[&:]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:55 pm

My only fear with rain in connection with climbers is lightning.  I've been caught twice in a tree, and it was hairy.  A light rain can do a lot of positive things for you. 

If it's heavy rain, wait until it starts to let up. I found one of the best times to be on a stand is as the rain is lifting.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:31 am

Thanks guys,

Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else. I'll hope the weather report changes for the 14th

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:12 am

Rain yes, thunderstorm no.  It's not too bad, remember to bring something dry to sit on if your stand is a permanent one and already wet.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

mndeerslayer

Postby mndeerslayer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:44 am

I PLAN ON BEING IN MY PORTABLE STAND RAIN, SNOW, OR SHINE I ONLY HUNT FIREARMS SEASON SO I CAN'T BE CHOSEY .
MNDEERSLAYER ///// FLAGGED FOR INTRUSION

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:42 am

i have a climber, and have hunted in a light rain,i dont wanna advocate to do this ,but i never had a problem,i have even put on a tree that had a little ice on 1 side,again no slippage.i am vey choosey on the tree . if it doesnt have bark to bite im not putting on it,if wet.i always,always go slow--i dont move the bottom up until all my weight is on the top,and only about 8to10 inches per. move.the bigger issue ,as joel said ,is in a steady rain ,how the heck do u blood trail a deer? you cant,if that deer doesnt fall within eye shot you got your work cut out.i also wouldnt ever put on a tree again w even a little ice,ever.that was a risky move --NOT WORTH IT-5BUCK[;)]

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:47 am

I have a couple tree stands up and one is a ladder stand. I prefer climbing that when it is raining instead using the stand that has climbing sticks. Overall, I have hunted 4 times in heavy rain and light rain. During heavier rain, I NEVER saw a deer. One of the four times I hunted in the rain it let up toward the end of the day (yes, I was out all day hunting...sat in my truck to eat lunch for 1 hour) and that is the only time I ever saw movement in the woods. I have read and heard that you could see some nice bucks roaming around in bad weather which is why I chose to hunt in the rain. On the property I hunt, it boasts some pretty heavy deer traffic in the morning hours and late afternoon hours, but that was never my experience in heavy rain. I love to hunt, but after this years last hunt in the rain I swore I would not go hunt during rain again. That was then, but as it always goes for me...if I get that burning desire to hunt, I will probably head out rain or shine.  

I would never hunt if it calls for lightning...I want to live another day to hunt.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:02 am

Just a update, I did hunt in the rain (light to medium showers)for about 7 hours. My stand had no problems and was safe. I saw no deer move, this was strange. This corner I set up in I always see deer hanging around. The corner is all white oaks and bolders a soy bean field on one side and a corn field the other side. The funny part was The next morning my brother in law said he wanted to sit there not in my stand 10 feet from it. Ok sure, I laughed to myself and went back to an other spot I fixed up. About an hour and a half later he shot a 6 point that I had in bow range a few weeks before but never gave me the shot opertunity.

On a brighter note, I did see the big boy I've been trying to get a shot at. The last time I saw this buck was Nov 16th 2006 right at dark. Man this buck is a biggin and now has a nice grey coat. 2 weeks later I went back to the river and found a fresh rub, the tree is as big around as my leg.

Thank you everyone and happy hunting.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 am

I don't mind the drizzle at all. Matter in fact the movement/sightings seem to be better. Throw on the rainsuit and get up in the tree. It's a bonus when it quits. I always see more after a rain.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Next

Return to Tree Stands