Is now the time to call?

hansonca

Is now the time to call?

Postby hansonca » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Is it that time of the year already, I hope so? So Does anyone know of a call to call in does? This is my areas first year in earn-a-buck and i shot my doe last year, But my dad still needs one. He hunts every weekend with his crossbow (shoulder surgery) every weekend. So is there a call he can use to call in a doe or should he just sit tight. Also is there a good call to use for a buck now that the rut is on. Thanks and good shooting.

Demoderby4

RE: Is now the time to call?

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Everyone i know says a "can" type doe call either works great or is a complete bust. For me it worked great to call in a doe a while back (too bad it was preseason scouting...) it's a hit or miss for that call i guess. I haven;t had any experience with any other doe bleat call, although i hear the "true talker" call works great for anywhere from buck to fawn balls. But for a buck call, hands down i would go with the primos buck roar, saw it in action a few days back and i wish i would of bought one when i bought my MAD Buck Growl. My buddy called in a decent sized buck (unsure of the rack size, it was damaged) with it, the buck almost charged to his stand.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 pm

can call ,fawn bleat will bring em in[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:06 am

Demoderby4, just curious when your buddy called in the buck, did he do a roar or tending grunts or combination of both?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:36 am

Agreed, use a fawn bleat to attract does.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:26 am

There is really no such thing as a wrong call this time of year. Bucks are as aggressive as they are going to get right now, and does are hearing all kinds of vocalizations in the woods and will not be easily spooked by calling.

I would not, however, use calling as my primary means of killing a doe. You are far better off setting up downwind of a trail that leads to food. Sit quietly and keep your eyes open. A can type, fawn bleat may pull a doe a few steps closer to allow a shot, but I do not suspect that you will have success bringing them in from a distance this late in the fall. Excessive calling on a doe hunt is more likely to alert does or make them nervous.

But what do I know? My meat pole is empty so far.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:40 am

Sorry for the delayed response Deanoz, if i recall right, i remember hearing my buddy hit his call a few times, the buck didn't hear it or wasn't interested at first, but after about the 3rd hit, he raised his head, stomped his foot and didn't run, but quickly walked over toward my buddies stand. No calls came out of him, at least any that i could hear, and i was only about 33 yards or so away, if he made any they were not very loud at all.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:54 pm

ORIGINAL: hansonca

Is it that time of the year already, I hope so? So Does anyone know of a call to call in does? This is my areas first year in earn-a-buck and i shot my doe last year, But my dad still needs one. He hunts every weekend with his crossbow (shoulder surgery) every weekend. So is there a call he can use to call in a doe or should he just sit tight. Also is there a good call to use for a buck now that the rut is on. Thanks and good shooting.
I've called doe's in with a couple short grunts before, the deer were eager to find the source of the call. I like to grunt mainly when the deer is held up out of bow range, or passing by my hunting area, but I've also brought deer back to my stand again many times. Try a fawn distress call to attract a doe, I use M.A.D's heat bleat. I can use this bleat all season long, for bucks and doe's. Something to rember is you have nothing to lose by calling to deer, they hear these sounds everyday. They will either respond, or they won't, it just depends on thier mood at the time.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 am

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

Sorry for the delayed response Deanoz, if i recall right, i remember hearing my buddy hit his call a few times, the buck didn't hear it or wasn't interested at first, but after about the 3rd hit, he raised his head, stomped his foot and didn't run, but quickly walked over toward my buddies stand. No calls came out of him, at least any that i could hear, and i was only about 33 yards or so away, if he made any they were not very loud at all.

Thanks D, so I'll assuming he was grunting and not roaring?

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:38 am

yeah if anything he was doing soft grunts but im not putting any money on that...

Next

Return to Calls