2012 reports

Sailfish

2012 reports

Postby Sailfish » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:01 pm

I got up this morning at 4:30 am. Last night I finally had the opportunity to pre-pack everything before 9 p.m. For me that is a rarity with 2 young'ins. :D
We had a cold front move through about 2 days ago so the temp dipped way down into the upper 60's, definitely a well needed break.

I arrived at the property at 5:55, a little later then I wanted. I had the 2 bucks on my trail cam typically showing up around 10 ish; I was hoping to be in stand a solid 2 hours + before shooting hours. I missed it by a bit. However a plus this opening day: due to the cool weather I was able to sneak through the woods and up into my stand while breaking just a small sweat.

This was my first time hunting this stand. I was given access by the landowner approximately 4 weeks ago or so to this part of the ranch. I had to scramble to scout, set up a stand, etc before opening today.

I caught the two bucks in velvet (approx 4 weeks ago) and decided to target the 7 pt. With the rut not until late January/february I figured he'd grow a tad more:

The morning was uneventful, sans a deer blowing me around 7:30. I couldn't figure how I was downwind, not moving, and some deer from over 50 yards away in thick brush pegs me, starts blowing and informs the whole woods of my presence. I was a tad disheartened at that time. I'm thinking, here I am in a new stand, quite fresh, and took every possible scent control steps I know..........and still get busted!!!
Well it is what it is. I have another stand that was more desirable for the upcoming 15KT wind chamge in a few hours, but said to myself "No Bo, these guys show up like clockwork, stick it out." so I did

Around 8:40 a doe shows up out of nowhere.

It will never cease to amaze me how you can scan the woods over an over, look one direction, then the next, look back and WAMMO a deer is in front of you!

I happen to drop an apple slice I was eating in the dark and for some reason, she was very uncomfortable seeing this on the ground, and slid away the way she came. I was really becoming disenchanted by this point. A deer blows me, a doe freaks about an apple slice.......what next???

The next 2+ hours were tough. It was slowly approaching 85 degrees (low humidity though) and I was thinking....nothing will move in this heat.But, My method for hunting the 11-3 timeframe stuck in the back of my mind, so I said to myself, "stick it out it will work out".

The area I am hunting is thick brush with an approx 20 yard x 30 yard opening in front of me. To my rear is a large clearing that the farmer uses to access his cattle, farm etc. All my pics, knowledge etc told me the deer would stay and walk through from the thick stuff.

11:15 rolls around and I am begging for a hog to come buy..........something! I happen to turn around and check out the clearing behind me ....just because.
Wouldn't you know it, the area I have no shot, no expectations for a deer to come from............he does. And its two of them. From the wide-open clearing a 5 pt being tailed by another deer I can't make out. I'm pretty confident that these are the two from the pic above, but due to the landowner (6 pt minimum) I have to wait to see. YES!. Its the 5 being trailed by the 7.

And of course.................the 5 walks BEHIND my tree..........inches from it. I had not expected that. He crept through and stopped at the base. And he perked up! I said .................what??? He didn't snort, blow or stomp..........but he bolted.....fast.......about 50 yards downwind. The only thing I thought that could have done that to him was he smelled my urine from less than an hour earlier. I don't believe he thought it was human, but a more dominant buck. He just looked around from his new vantage point apparently no longer spooked.
The 7 point opted to bolt back upwind. I was now torn. Take a 40 yard shot into the wind in a very small window risking blowing my location ( I was set now to shoot behind my tree to the left, he was now away from me to my right)........or wait him out????!?!?!

I waited.
The 5 point slid into the woods, and the 7 turned around and started moving back toward the base of my tree following the path the 5 took (whew). When he was shielded, I drew my bow back and waited for him to walk into the narrow kill window of brush/branches. I had to let him walk into this window, but not too far or else he'd get wind of what the other buck smelled. Finally he made it, I stopped him and let the Rage 2 fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It appeared to be perfect. He was so close (24' down and 5 yards from the base of my tree) as soon as I released the arrow, it appeared like he was hit very well. Blood exploded out his side!! He bolted back the way he came, I watched and listened..........and heard him crash in the palm fronds out of view 40 yards away!!.

I opted to wait still about 30 minutes, taking my time to pack up, assess the shot/area etc:
Tons of blood at the site.......and the arrow was broken. It was a clean through and through ....but of course I started second guessing.........was it too near his neck????

I put the track on him and saw great blood............confident now he bled out.

And I found him about 40 yards away.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v53/bo444444/Deer%20Hunting/?action=view&current=2012fldeer010.mp4
(sounds like a commercial for Rage I know(plus I was excited as always,......but those arrow heads consistently amaze me with their abilities)

Decent opening day archery buck

Here is the inside view of the Rage:

His heart:

The arrow enterred his chest cavity on the upper right, and exited out in his left armpit and stuck in the ground. I think what happened was when I shot, he squated, the arrow went through stuck in the ground and when he bolted he snapped it.

After a difficult 2011........I'm very pleased at the start of this season!!!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Jslotter

Re: 2012 reports

Postby Jslotter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Congrats Sailfish...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 am

Went out Sunday afternoon/evening for a hunt
Was actually going to bang a hog for an upcoming bash we're attending.
Hogs have been all over the camera I figured it'd be a no brainer.
Figured wrong.
My guess was the mutli-directional winds alerted the forest to my presence :lol: .

However I did have a neat experience walking out.

I saw a doe about 200 yards away and I was able to slink along the edges of the 2-track I was walking on to get to 40 yards from her. Then there were two big hedges in the open that I was going to ease around that would get me to 20. But the wind came blowing down (I was upwind by this time) through the woods and boy she smelled me in a jiffy and bolted.

Still pretty fun stalking that close in the "open" to a deer.
I'd have like to drawn on her just to see if I "could" have shot her if allowed.
Oh, well next time.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:22 am

Took a day off Thursday Dec 20th to get in some hunting just before this front was pushing through.
I was hoping for a deer or hog (I have one deer left to kill on this property).
I got suited up and realized I didn't have a caribiner for my HS vest :evil:
So it would be over to my ground blind instead.
Not much happened other than a young fawn came by (still in spots but fading quite a bit), and then out of the blue, 7 Jakes come scooting by and then stopped near me. I had a bird left to take ..............I couldn't pass up the chance on this Osceola.

Last night I cleaned the fan, wings and "beard" and set them. Not sure what i'll make with them. As usual my little boy asked me if I could make him something for his wall. I figure I have a few months to come up with an idea. I'm also going to attempt to make a pair of yelpers (never tried it) from the wings

Also, here is the mount I finished for "his deer" that I killed in October. It turned out well.

More good news.............sort of. I haven't seen any buck activity yet, but the rut isn't due for another 60 days +/- Season ends in February so I'm thinking it should pick up soon (hoping anyways). As mentioned I have one buck left to kill and I do need some jerky and such.
And lastly, I hooked up with a pal i've known since the early 90's. He lives about an hour south of me now. Apparently his new place is next to 20k acres of state land, he has Turkey, deer and hog coming up to 10 yards from his back porch..................and he doesn't hunt. He gave me an open invite! THAT was a nice early x-mas present(edit, not to hunt off his porch but his property :D ).

Thats all I have to report for now.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:07 am

Nice all the way around! But what are yelpers?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:15 am

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 am

80 degrees yesterday, 82 today and tomorrow. :(
Rut in @ 4-8 weeks.
Hoping to heck we get the big chill soon. Last year was similiar to this year and it greatly affected the activity.
Sort of turned it into a long, slow, breeding cycle.
New moon is in a few days; my hope is that we get below freezing for a day or two around the next full moon...........maybe things will get moving then.
Haven't been to my camera in 3-4 weeks hopefully we'll see some activity

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Had the chance to get out for a few hours yesterday.
Hogs have been a problem on the land, and I believe they've altered the deer patterns.
So, I hung a stand in a new area yesterday.
Didn't take long but I was soaked in sweat (brutally hot still :oops: ).
Went back to the Jeep, turned on the a/c and cooled down.
A bit later I got into my hunting clothes and got on stand.
Saw LOTS of deer. Great move!! Deer within 20 minutes of sitting. Through dark, they were under my stand, around me.......it was nice.
Couple downsides' though:

No buck sightings. (Well I did see a large body in the darkness...but couldn't confirm) Still nocturnal be my guess, and since its been hot.......why move. Landowner has spotted some but..........very thin necks, bachelor pads, no real activity by them

Lots of small (no spots) fawns. Hopefully with the rut still a few weeks away they will be big enough to be booted out by mom. However, the rut (based on this years fawn crop) may be like last years...late.....past hunting season :x WE NEED A FREEZE! That seems to kick them off. My prediction (hope) was the full moon and a freeze coinciding with each other will do the trick.

I know I was sweating, but I stripped down, wiped down, sprayed body/hair/pits etc with scent away, put on my hunting clothes, sprayed them, pack as well as my HSS was freshly cleaned/descented......it was as if I were invisible............or so I thought. My seat was at 18', light ssw wind, and due to the mosquito's I had to have my thermacell running. A doe popped her head out of some thick stuff 20 yards just downwind of me. She stopped and was on edge. I didn't move. She got out in front of me, wnet rigid and put two eyes on me. Stomped, stomped, did a brief 5 yard bolt, stopped again....and sort of sauntered off. She knew I was there, just not what I was. Nonetheless I was pegged (not happy about that in my new standsight). Then a tad later....a momma raccoon and her youngin sauntered through the woods directly downwind of me. She got about 20 yards or so.....STOPPED, got on her hindlegs and started sniffing the air, moving her nose sideways to try to figure out what was up.
My concern is........was there a smell on the new metal, was it me, or was it the Thermacell!?!?!?!?!?! I've been pegged before, but this was so obvious they picked up on something right away. Makes me wonder........honestly my first thought is the Thermacell. Second was the Stand/straps. But they all looked straight up at me and I wasn't moving at all.

So no shooters, or hogs

I'm going to let this area sit about 3 weeks. Check my camera then, and if it looks promising i'll hit it last weekend or something.
I have a spot deep in the wood that I haven't ever hunted. Been waiting it out for pre-rut and the right wind.......hoping it will be the place. We'll see.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:29 pm

You could have possibly just had some residual scent in the area from hanging the stand... You said you got sweaty while hanging it, so it's likely that even though you probably didn't have a ton of scent on your body, all of the times you touched the stand, the tree, the straps, etc... you most likely left a lot of scent there. Giving it time to cool down is probably a good call.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Ohhhh man, you know what? I bet your right! Good insight!
While I was hanging the steps/stand I was constantly wrapping my arms, clothes shoes etc around the tree. Sweat, skin cells, clothes smell, gosh knows what else, I was all over the bark, the stand......ugh.... I bet thats the culprit. It would explain looking up and not just sniffing down on the ground.

Hope your right!!

Next

Return to Florida