Heavy Rain & The Rut

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shadow

Heavy Rain & The Rut

Postby shadow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:38 am

Whatever stage of the rut were in here in the Northeast, how does a forecast of heavy rain, temperature highs in the upper 50's to low 60's, and a good chance of thunder and lighting for the late afternoon (all for Saturday,Nov.,15) figure in to a day of deer hunting?

Will the bucks or does be active at all?

I've been around long enough to know that you can't kill a deer sitting at home, but that also getting soaked sitting in a treestand like I experienced for 10 straight hours without a deer sighting last Saturday is just not any fun either.(although I was very comfortable sitting in my Summit stand I bought in the spring!)

What are your thoughts? Either way, I will probably still be out there but I will probably sneak in after daybreak??
Hopefully the response's from you just may enlighten me to something I might not know about these weather conditions and the way a deer travels during them.

Woods Walker

RE: Heavy Rain & The Rut

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:59 am

The second largest buck I ever killed I killed under those same conditions during firearm season. In fact, the majority of big deer that I've seen and killed had wet coats. Point is: bucks don't care what the weather is during the rut.

What the DOES are doing is of more importance. I used to think that if the does are hunkered down, that the bucks would be too, but then I realized that it can be that (if he's with an estrous doe), or just the OPPOSITE (the does are down, so he's cruising for one, and is wandering about searching). This, I believe, is why I see a lot of big bucks during rains.

At the minimum, you want to be IN the woods when the rain does stop, or lets up, because deer WILL move when that happens, especially if it's been raining for a while. Not leaving camp or your home, but actually in the woods.

One time I went in and had to get in my tree in a driving rain for gun season. IMO, there is nothing more miserable than setting up in the dark when it's raining. I compromised, and sat at the base of my tree with a small tarp over me until I could see, and then I got in the tree. I had one of the treestand umbrellas, and once I got that set up, I could at least kep the rain off of me, which helped a lot. 2 hours later I was rewarded with a nice 10 pointer that was with a few does.

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ironmike

Postby ironmike » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:03 am

I will be out there rain or shine in my new chair blind if it is raining if not in my tree stand.[:)]
good luck to all hunter's

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:04 am

The rain is tough, but if the rut is on at least some deer will be moving.  

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:06 am

I have actually killed bucks during hard driving rains, I thought I was an idiot to be out setting threw it, but it has paid off for me in the past.
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

richtaber

Postby richtaber » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:26 am

I too have gotten bucks on rainy days.  In fact one year I leaned against a tree and kind of nodded off and when I snapped back awake there was a nice six pointer standing about 20 feet away from me which I prompty shot.  As has been mentioned, if the rut is peaking which it will be tomorrow, the deer should be moving, with bucks looking for does, even if it is a bit warm out, and above 45 degrees.  As far as being out in a driving rain, I might think twice about that, b ut if it a light rain or a drizzle, I can deal with it by using one of those inexpensive ground blinds you can buy.  I can do this as I hunt on my own farm and don't have to drive a long way to hunt.  I have an Ameristep ground blind and just bought another; I have placed each at two different ends of my property to take advantage of different winds and scent patterns and will sit in them tomorrow on opening day if the weather is real lousy.  With opening day activity and bucks in the rut there should be good movement of deer before they wise up and go somwhat nocturnal.

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:30 am

I live in western New York. The forecast here is rain as well but with breaks inbetween. temps to dip in the afternoon (down to the 40's) meaning a change in barometric pressure. This coupled with 15-20 mph winds from the south and all the human intrusion, will have deer moving. But there is no place Id rather be than my stand the moment the rain stops. Those are the times I see lots of deer. 
Venison - the other red meat

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:58 am

We had rain, wind, and rising temperatures here in Northern Kentucky for a couple of days.  It didn't faze the deer any.  I went out last afternoon and bagged an 8-pointer just after the rain pulled out East.  This morning, it was 60F when I went out to scout before sunruse.  Deer were everywhere.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Last Saturday no sighting's, this Wednesday the same, although I noticed many rubs that were not there on Saturday.
Today I scouted and noticed alot more rubs and sign than ever before. I'll be out there in the morning before day break and stay until a deer is down or night falls.
Good Luck to everyone who is hunting tommorow.

tdunlap

Postby tdunlap » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:16 am

Yesterday 11-15-08 we had rain turn to snow wind blowing 25-30MPH just absolutly miserable conditions with the North wind coming off Lake Erie, and the deer were moving and chasing like it was sunny and 50.  I think if there is a hot doe in the area which I am sure there was it does not matter, if there isn't its gonna be slow.

Tom

Next

Return to General Discussions