whitetail rut

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
lucy1993

whitetail rut

Postby lucy1993 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:23 pm

when will the whitetail rut start in wisconsin in 2012

Jslotter

Re: whitetail rut

Postby Jslotter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:10 am

Usually around the last week of October into November rut action seems to pick up.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:23 pm

According to the "Experts"

The "Seeking" phase will begin on October 25th.

The Rutting Moon (Full Moon) will be on Oct 29th.

The "Chase Phase" will start on November 2nd.

The "Breeding Phase" also known as "Lockdown" will peak some time between Nov. 8th and November 18th.

Either way you cut it, I do the SAME thing every year.

I will be taking a one week vacation November 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, & 9th. I won't miss that first M-F full week of November any year.

I think a lot of the old timers will agree with me on those dates give or few a couple of days.
"You can overdo anything."

thomasmgp

Postby thomasmgp » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:15 am

I plan on sitting probably 10 hours a day this Thursday -Tuesday. But I just have one question. Should I sit the same stand the entire time or move around to 2-3 or even 4 stands. Obviously If Im seeing a ton of does at one stand I will hang out for a bit. I have 400 acres of land and Im thinking the best way to get a big deer is to keep moving spending maybe 3 hours in a stand, taking a 20 min break, then going to another stand for 3 hours. Repeating that from sun up to sun down. I wish I had a damn apple tablet or something like that to keep me from getting bored cause usually after about 3 hours Im ready to go somewhere else.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:10 pm

It will be within aprox 10-days of when it was last year. What you see may change considerably. Most of the chasing and breeding may take place at night due to warm temperatures or you may have an extended rut-one drawn out- or a condensed rut, lots of action in a few days.

Deer breed at just about the same time every year. Fetal development studies bear this out. The moon has nothing to do with it. Nutrition is the major factor and weather is the major factor determining what you see. If it is really hot, you may think there has been no rut. But, trust me, the does get bred just about as they did last year. It has been that way for a very long time.

turkeyman

Postby turkeyman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Here in Virginia we are having the storm moving through right now, as I wright this it is 8:19pm on Monday the 29th. Our rut should have started and I have watched bucks chase does but the does are not receptive yet. Last week I missed the largest buck of my life on my property in the mountain. It was a 13.5 yd shot and I sent the arrow just over his back. He is still in the area as I saw him for 3 days after that and he was still chasing the does. Muzzle loader starts on the 3rd and although I wish to take him with the bow and due to the severe storm here I may opt to take him with smoke pole. I don't know how this storm will effect the rut here at this time but I will be out there the first chance I get after the storm has passed. Good luck to all of you this season and I hope you will not have your season messed up by the storm.

turkeyman

Postby turkeyman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm

Bowriter wrote:It will be within aprox 10-days of when it was last year. What you see may change considerably. Most of the chasing and breeding may take place at night due to warm temperatures or you may have an extended rut-one drawn out- or a condensed rut, lots of action in a few days.

Deer breed at just about the same time every year. Fetal development studies bear this out. The moon has nothing to do with it. Nutrition is the major factor and weather is the major factor determining what you see. If it is really hot, you may think there has been no rut. But, trust me, the does get bred just about as they did last year. It has been that way for a very long time.

You have it correct as to what you said. Good to see some one who does not listed to the old tales of moon and so forth.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:05 pm

You betcha'!

All this moon phase, calendar talk always make me giggle. The proof of the pudding is the fawn crop, and most of the fawns are all born around the same time...every year. That's because those stupid deer can't read or use a computer!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 am

4 shooter bucks were roaming a family field yesterday in central MI from sunup until 08:30.
Seems things may be heating up real nice this week!
Hopefully folks have the opportunity to get out this week.
I arrive late on the 14th just in time for gun opener (and the ol lockdown :D )
But its tradition
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Return to General Discussions