question about scent control

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

Re: question about scent control

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 am

And am I correct in assuming that you just might in some small way be speaking from experience? :o
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 pm

^ Not in a small way, WW. A big way!

Back to the initial question. My theory, derived from a career hunting farmland and suburban deer, is that deer in heavily populated areas are quite far from tame. In my opinion, one of the hardest animals to kill is a mature deer that has had daily contact with humans. While they may be less alarmed when encountering human scent on the ground (as in crossing your back trail), I think they are even better at picking out humans with "bad intentions". I'm sure a deer in a remote area will react to human odor, but a deer in the 'burbs moves around with that as his primary concern (or maybe second only to dogs).

I hunt a 20 acre hobby farm on the edge of town. It is not at all rare to be interrupted by kids playing or people walking their dogs. The guy who lives there is a non-hunter and is always amazed when we don't kill a deer. He see's them every day from his picture window and considers them tame. But as soon as one of the old does on the place picks us off in a stand, the entire herd begins to avoid it like the plague. Since it is so small and urban, we are limited as to our locations. It's actually a tough hunt. I think the only way I could ignore scent there would be to remove the glass from his window and hunt from the couch. Come to think of it......!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm

X100 J'per!!!

I've experienced the same thing on the 5 acres I live on that's surronded by oak woods. Those deer are all about CONTEXT when it comes to humans. I mentioned before that the same deer that I drive by almost everyday that watch me feed my horses, and cut the grass and such that do not become alarmed will snort, blow and run like hell if I happen to be in the woods that's right next to my place, or if I walk to the end of my gravel lane at night to put the trash out they will act like the devil himself is after them. CONTEXT!!!

They KNOW where us humans are supposed to be and when.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 am

Context seems to be a pretty fair way to express it.

I have a farmer friend who always carries his bow case in the cab of his combine. He often has deer walk right up to him while he is out idling in the field before he unloads to make another pass. Not exactly my idea of an exciting hunt but it keeps his freezer full.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:05 am

Very true. In an online debate one time about which stand type have the most deer killed from in Illinois, the rsponse was.....

COMBINE!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 am

I did quick trips after work myself. Dead down wind is a good friend of mine in the woods. I usually take a backpack in with me to have the spray scent killer readily available and I'll use it as i think I need it. Like you, I am diligent with clothes washing and putting them in air tight containers. I also toss on a HS earth scent wafer or something like it when I seal the clothes up. I think that helps as far as cover goes. As for the dietary supps......ask my wife, mine doesnt stink :lol:

Previous

Return to Best Practices