How is everyone's hunting looking like this seaons?

Montana Man

How is everyone's hunting looking like this seaons?

Postby Montana Man » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 pm

How is everyone hunting looking this year?
For being in a drought we are actually looking pretty good. Not much water, but we hardly hayed anything so the wildlife have an abundant of food and a lot of them are seen using our stock tanks as water sources. The mule deer are out and everywhere with some signs of good looking bucks, but it’s still awhile before the rut begins when the big guys really show up. We have a good size antelope herd on our alfalfa fields that are barely moving when we drive past. Some good looking bucks in them as well. The elk are out and about talking in the mornings and we have seen some good numbers in the herds around. Not sure if I’ll get a tag this year. I’m still eating on the cow from last year and our freezers are still all full. We even have some tom turkeys that are hanging around our bins eating what we drop. I’ll probably spend most of the fall coyote and varmint hunting getting their numbers down so everyone else’s goes up. It’s a great time to live in southeast Montana. What does it look like in your area?

Deebz

Re: How is everyone's hunting looking like this seaons?

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:30 pm

So far here in Eastern IL, things are looking pretty good. We had a terrible corn crop, but that's comparative to the usual amazing crops we do have. We've been getting a lot of rain lately, so while that doesn't help the antler growth on bucks it should help keep the critters going through the fall. All my trail cam pics show fat happy deer... Got a couple of vids of some really nice bucks I'm hoping to key in on this year.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Re: How is everyone's hunting looking like this seaons?

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Terrible, 4 weeks into bow season, and I haven't been able to get out to hunt yet. :( My Daughter was injured, and that is where all my time and money is going right now. I love to hunt (I need to hunt) but my kids must come first.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Montana