Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

bucksdrtnapn

Re: Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Postby bucksdrtnapn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:46 pm

just wondering if anyone has seen any signs of rut? deer chasing? active scrapes? i know its close,thought i saw a small buck chasing a doe but dont know if i should start hunting like its the rut yet...let me know

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Last weekend, I found two scrapes so far. Both of them appeared to be in line with each other inside the woods along a trail leading to a corn field. I been hearing about some sparring going on, but nothing hard core yet. I would wait until the last week of October and into the first few weeks of November to focus on the rut.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Going to be an early rut this year...Big bucks are cruising during daylight hours...

Activity basically turned on light a switch since Saturday, mostly smaller bucks, but as you can see here, big bucks are also on their feet early...

The 1 day out of the week I decide to work late because the weather man says we're going to get a hurricane, he shows his face 20 yards infront of my stand...

Sat tonight, saw a handful of does and fawns, but not this guy...

niner3.jpg
Niner
niner3.jpg (89.02 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Rutnstrut

Postby Rutnstrut » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Gafrage wrote:Going to be an early rut this year...Big bucks are cruising during daylight hours...

Activity basically turned on light a switch since Saturday, mostly smaller bucks, but as you can see here, big bucks are also on their feet early...

The 1 day out of the week I decide to work late because the weather man says we're going to get a hurricane, he shows his face 20 yards infront of my stand...

Sat tonight, saw a handful of does and fawns, but not this guy...

niner3.jpg

There is no such thing as an early rut, cold fronts in Oct can have mature deer up on their feet early. But they will breed right around the same dates every year.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:56 am

We could go on and on about this topic, as nobody has it down to a science. (Although some are close)

When I said early, I meant what most would consider the rut. (peaking the 6-15) of November here in Wisconsin.

The cold temperatures don't have anything to do with when does come into heat, but yes, it can get bucks on their feet earlier in the day. However, on this particular day, that I have this buck on camera, it was 60+ degrees...

Obviously does are different throughout the state, but in my neck of the woods, you won't find me watching football games on Saturday and Sundays anymore. The next 3 weekends.

On the same night I had my buck on the trail camera, I also had 2 other friends that shot mature bucks. That's early and warm for mature bucks to be pushing does around, the earliest I've ever seen.

That being said, I'm confident this year is going to be a good year for the rut, and its going to come earlier than most people would expect.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Rutnstrut

Postby Rutnstrut » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:30 am

Gafrage wrote:We could go on and on about this topic, as nobody has it down to a science. (Although some are close)

When I said early, I meant what most would consider the rut. (peaking the 6-15) of November here in Wisconsin.

The cold temperatures don't have anything to do with when does come into heat, but yes, it can get bucks on their feet earlier in the day. However, on this particular day, that I have this buck on camera, it was 60+ degrees...

Obviously does are different throughout the state, but in my neck of the woods, you won't find me watching football games on Saturday and Sundays anymore. The next 3 weekends.

On the same night I had my buck on the trail camera, I also had 2 other friends that shot mature bucks. That's early and warm for mature bucks to be pushing does around, the earliest I've ever seen.

That being said, I'm confident this year is going to be a good year for the rut, and its going to come earlier than most people would expect.

Early cruising yes, actual peak breeding no.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Nothing moving before dark tonight. Only saw a few deer in the fields on the way home. Gonna switch things around and hunt the mornings from here on out.

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Looked at the weather and it looks like its going to be warm and possibly rainy all week up until Friday the 26th. Than a big cold front comes in, as well as a full moon the 29th. Look for it to pick up after next weekend. Just my guess though. What do you guys think. ( and gals)

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:26 pm

I agree. The time of the year, plus a moon phase and weather front. Should be good.

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:14 pm

I hope so slotter. I've been out six times now and havent seen ANYTHING. I've been making up excuses in my head. The "October lull", the corn field behind my stand isnt cut yet, so the deer spend all thier time in there, crappy weather...and so on. I've had a few differant good size bucks on my trail cam, so I'm not giving up hope yet. This is my first year bow hunting, so I hope the rut is all that its cracked up to be.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin