Making Your Own Cover Scent - Your Thoughts?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Wagguy80

Re: Making Your Own Cover Scent - Your Thoughts?

Postby Wagguy80 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:43 am

Heh they are my practice deer. If I were to be "stalking" up on them especially dressed as a tree they would probably bolt long before I got close. One must use ancient ninja stealth secrets. Stand very very still, when they look away take a step. lol

Not that camo doesn't work if your in good natural cover it can make you near invisible. However half the stands I see have all the limbs around them pruned, and stick out like a sore thumb.

So I think the rule here is an all or nothing approach. If your going to try to be invisible, scent, sight, and sound then everything needs to be just so. Otherwise you might as well be wearing solid orange coveralls with a cigarette in your hand.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:56 am

Wagguy80 wrote: Otherwise you might as well be wearing solid orange coveralls with a cigarette in your hand.

LOL, have you met Shaman?? (sans the cigarette)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:44 pm

When it comes to what deer do or don't flee from, it is wise remember; deer are not particularly afrid of man. They are afraid of man the predator.

Zebras don't fear lions. They will graze wihtin 150-yards of a pride of dozing lions. But when one lion gets up, fixes her eyes on a zebra, watch the little stripers run. Zebras fear predator lions. And deer fear predator humans.

If you can go back far enough, maybe 1984-5, there is a super article in the Old Bow and Arrow Hunting Magazine, titled, I believe, Only The Unusual.. It was written by a great outdoor writer and it dealt with just this subject. Fantastic article as is just about everything this guy wrote. ;)

Previous

Return to General Discussions