Blind hunter

gilby2404

Blind hunter

Postby gilby2404 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi my name is Nick Gilbertson. I have a son who was born blind and now is 13 years old. Khanon is very interested in hunting like me but it is very difficult to figure out a way for him to take an animal by himself. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that can suggest a way for me to be his eyes while he can aim and pull the trigger. With the recent youth hunt here in Wisconsin he talks to his friends and classmates about their stories and I would like nothing better than him to have a story of his own. I would also like to find out if anyone knows of any disabled hunts for the blind or of any other blind hunter and how they overcame this challenge. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

kellory

Re: Blind hunter

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Welcome to the forum sir, I hope you stick around and share your knowledge. There is a great deal to learn here as well.

As to your problem (Impaired Hunting) There is a thread on this site about it. I personally am not in favor of anyone pulling a trigger without being absolutely sure of what the gun is aimed at. However, there are a couple of ways for you to try it under close supervision, and on private land (so no one else is at risk)

They make special scopes to allow for a spotter to line up a shot for the blind.
You could attach an action cam to the barrel for a live feed to a laptop (possibly to a smart phone),
Or you could try a variation of this idea intended for a left eye dominant shooting a right handed mussel loader. I believe these are magnifying mirrors and only the last mirror would need to be faced for a spotter to use.
mussle loader for left eye dominant 2.jpg
mussle loader for left eye dominant 2.jpg (80.11 KiB) Viewed 718 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Oakarver

Re: Blind hunter

Postby Oakarver » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:03 am

Return to Wisconsin