Cell phones & 2 way radios

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
allthingshunting

RE: Cell phones & 2 way radios

Postby allthingshunting » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 am

I think for safety and other reasons...a cell phone / walkie-talkie are more than exceptable.

I also agree "aid" is a very broad term that to me gives a person too much room for interpretation.

One hypothetical that would use them to help kill a deer....i saw a show where a guy made a huge circle on a bedded buck while the camera man stayed put at the truck.  The camera man could see the hunters approach...and see where the deer was bedded...however, the hunter could not see the deer.  They tried hand signals, but eventually the deer snuck away unseen by the hunter.  Had they had a walkie-talkie to communicate, the outcome could have been much different. 

Not sure how i feel about this....on one hand you still need the skill to stalk within range, but on the other, 15-20 years ago, the hand signals (Which failed) would have been all you had.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:15 am

Missouri used to prohibit the use of radios to assist in taking deer, but not seeing anything in this years regulations about it.  I'll have to check and see if that has changed.

We carry radios with us, not to help each other shoot deer, but as a safety precaution, and to let each other know when someone leaves the field to head back to the barn. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:31 am

A recent article we posted evokes thoughts about how amateur (ham) radio provides a reliable, long-range communications alternative for deer hunters who venture too far from cell phone towers.
Corey Graff
Online Editor - Outdoors/Firearms
F+W Publications, Inc.
700 East State St.
Iola, WI 54990-0001
t715.445.4612 x13217

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:19 am

The deer will always have the advantage. I don't care if we had gun mounted heat sensing radar, the odds will always be in the deer's favor.
The have all the physical and environmental advantages. The only real assets we will ever have will be our intellect and a sharp stick or a stone. 

Murie51

Postby Murie51 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:27 am

My brothers and I use our cell phones to keep eachother company while we hunt.  Texting eachother back and forth.  Especially if we hear shots that and want to know if the other person got a deer.  On top of that I will not go in the woods without it.  Its a safety thing for me.   
"Good intensions are fraught with disappointment" - Grissom

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:59 am

I carry my cell every time I hit the field, simply for saftey's sake. 

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:00 pm

I always seem to forget mine at home[:)][:)]. The reason i go hunting is to get away from things, and my phone being one of them...
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:44 pm

I think that is a dumb law... Oh crud I just fell 15"+ from a tree. I broke my back and now I have to crawl to get help.  Thanks for helping me out dnr.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:19 am

I think they mean you cant use them to radio ahead and tell people deer are coming or ask your buddy if you can fill his tag for him, because yours is already filled. I know in some states you can fill another person tag from your hunting group if they are in sight and sound of you and sound they mean voice cantact without the aid of electronic two way radio or cell phone.

I have not checked the wi regs latley about this but I know I do not go into the woods without a cell phone just for saftey reasons like it I were to fall from a tree.

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:18 pm

[font=timesltstd-roman][font=timesltstd-roman][color=#231f20][size=1][font=timesltstd-roman][color=#231f20][size=1][left][size=2]Wisconsin's regs state:[/left][left] [/left][left][color=#3300ff]Hunters may not use cellular phones, special free radio communications or other mechanical or electronic amplifying devices, (except hearing aids) to get someone to tag a deer. It is legal to use electronic devices for reasons other than getting someone to tag a deer.[/left][left] [/left][left]They have actually supported and encouraged people to call in illegal activities witnessed why you are out in the woods.  Woundn't make much sense to encourage that but yet make it illegal to posses the phone in the first place!  Oh wait ... we are talking about the DNR here![/left][left] [/left][left]Safety first!!  [/left][/size][/color][/font][/size][/color][/font][/size][/color][/font]
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

PreviousNext

Return to Regulatory issues