got busted by a doe.what can i do

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
huntingaddict1984

got busted by a doe.what can i do

Postby huntingaddict1984 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:54 pm

I was sitting in my treestand and had 3 does eating at 21 yards a fourth doe came in and busted me she ran off and then hissed when she got in the bush sending the.others running what should I do is my stand still good or is.it blown for good?

Please help me this is my first year serriously bow hunting
In every hunt there is a trophy not always of the physical nature but in the experience....

Huntingaddict1984

mhouck06

Re: got busted by a doe.what can i do

Postby mhouck06 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:12 am

I would not worry about it too much if its the first time you have been busted in that stand.. Those doe will probably remember that incident tho. I would be more worried if it were a buck.
Think about what you did to bust them.. did they catch your wind.. did they see you moving... what happened that spooked that doe?
This is a good learning experience.. most deer recieve a lot of pressure and if you get busted too much, it could create big problems.
Give the stand a break for a couple days and then try it again. Make sure you watch the wind and spray yourself down very good. Watch any movements and be ready for deer..
In one of the books I have read, it said deer could smell and identify different scents over 400 yards away.. keep this in mind. I beleive their nose is their first line of defense....
Good Luck

huntingaddict1984

Postby huntingaddict1984 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:43 pm

thanks..... the advice is.greatly appreciated..... I have taken lots of animals with a.rifle but I am new to having.deer.at less than 40. Yards all the time
In every hunt there is a trophy not always of the physical nature but in the experience....

Huntingaddict1984

huntingaddict1984

Postby huntingaddict1984 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:43 pm

thanks..... the advice is.greatly appreciated..... I have taken lots of animals with a.rifle but I am new to having.deer.at less than 40. Yards all the time

Huntingaddict1984

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:14 pm

I also got busted by a doe on a recent hunt. I left the area. Came back two days later and had four bucks, 2 of them large racked bucks walk out and feed within 20 yards. I couldn't get a shot on any of them either. :cry: I was in a old perm stand that I had found on the club (I'm new to that club this year and had no time to scout or put up stands of my own) so I sat in it. I didnt realize just how exposed I was until I went to move and realized bucks 3 and 4 had me cold if I even flinched. So I sat and watched and counted points. FIgured better to let them just feed and leave. 20 mins later they are gone and none the wiser. I'm putting a cougar claw bubba LS on that section tomorrow morning :)

Return to Best Practices