Do you believe in the Rut prediction by moon phase ?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
RNC

RE: Do you believe in the Rut prediction by moon phase ?

Postby RNC » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:16 pm

I wont say the moon has no affect but its not the deciding factor. We have talked with several Wisconsin DNR employees and they all pretty much agree. The rut has to happen in a certian window of time to give fawns the best chance of survival. If they are born too early a late snow storm in the spring would cause new fawns serious problems. If they are born too late in the spring they wont be big enough to make it through teir first winter. I have hunted in Burnett Co. Wis for the last 26 years now and my dad is going on 50 years and its been pretty consistant, rut sign starts showing up the last couple of weekends of Oct, peaks around Nov 9 give a or take a few days and its pretty much done by Nov 15-20. As long as we get normal or below avg temps during that time we normally see good rut activity. If the temps are high we still see the rut sign but buck movement is all at night.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:49 pm

ORIGINAL: RNC

I wont say the moon has no affect but its not the deciding factor. We have talked with several Wisconsin DNR employees and they all pretty much agree. The rut has to happen in a certian window of time to give fawns the best chance of survival. If they are born too early a late snow storm in the spring would cause new fawns serious problems. If they are born too late in the spring they wont be big enough to make it through teir first winter. I have hunted in Burnett Co. Wis for the last 26 years now and my dad is going on 50 years and its been pretty consistant, rut sign starts showing up the last couple of weekends of Oct, peaks around Nov 9 give a or take a few days and its pretty much done by Nov 15-20. As long as we get normal or below avg temps during that time we normally see good rut activity. If the temps are high we still see the rut sign but buck movement is all at night.

And allowing for the Photoperiod to set the rut up, and the moon phase to be the trigger falls within that window that has to occur for fawning to take place in the right window. Absolutely no one questions whether photoperiod is a primary influence on the rut, but only the moon phase accounts for the difference in timing from year to year.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:22 am

I have to go along with Karl Miller and the folks at QDMA.  The rut is due to photoperiod.  Movement during the rut may be affected by the moon phase, or weather, but photoperiod causes it.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

richtaber

Postby richtaber » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 am

I generally believe that Alsheimer and LaRoche are on to something, however I don't believe that there exists a warm and fuzzy feeling among many deer researchers about this topic. In the long term I will be even more confident in their findings when someone conducts a definitive research study, with several replications and with strict scientific protocols, most likely at the university level.  Whatever the results of such a study, it would corroborate or refute their findings.   

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:01 am

"Whitetail Advantage" by Dr. David Samuel and Robert Zaiglin devotes a chapter to this topic. It is by far the best and most comprehensive thing I have ever read on the subject. The best thing is that they simply offer you the studies and the data provided therein to make your own conclusion.

What's the bottom line? One study tends to cancel out the other. There is no definitive proof out there that the moon does or does not trigger the rut.

Personally, I took it as justification for my own belief that the moon does not play a primary role. But that is me using the data and personal experience to arrive at my own conclusion. I guess that is why we read books.

richtaber

Postby richtaber » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:22 am

I have just received the book "Whitetail Advantage" in the mail and look forward to reading it.l

findog

Postby findog » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:05 pm

Man, I'd like to believe it does, but it's been really active for the past week. The mooners said later than that.

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Yes I think the moon has an effect on the rut the indians used to call the full moon the rut started on the night of the horns or something like that I'm not sure my grampa was an indian and I didn't really understand much of what he said. but I did take everthing he showed me to heart

duckunder

Postby duckunder » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:03 am

I'm in Sounthern WI, and the small bucks have been going crazy here the past week, but I will say, that the mature bucks people have been getting here have just been strolling down a trail.... Yes, they are up on their feet earlier then those few minutes before dark, but they are not chasing so to speak.... I know two buddies that shot bucks at the 140" range this past 3 days and they both said that the bucks looked like they could care less about the does out there.... So

Murie51

Postby Murie51 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:34 am

I do not believe it.  There is no scientific evidence to prove this theory.  It has been proven, however, that the rut is much more predicatble by Photoperiod. 
"Good intensions are fraught with disappointment" - Grissom

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions