Land and finding it......

X3_Shooter

Land and finding it......

Postby X3_Shooter » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:44 pm

I have been hunting most of my life (17 years). I used to have this great little plot of about 20 acres behind my folks house to hunt, on the border of Racine and Milwaukee counties. About 5 years ago a guy with nothing better to do, levelled all of the land surrounding this little plot of heaven and the other neighbors sold their land in fears that there are condos and a high-class shopping center going up in the near future. The acreage still stands and the neighbors field has not sold as of yet (across the highway is county-controlled land). I would make an attempt to hunt there becvause there are deer there, but there's 3 houses back there now and it's pushing the threshold of being an ideal spot.

I have not been back there in about 4-5 years and have been constantly looking for a new place to go that is "close" to home (Milwaukee area), probably within an hou, give or take. I started the lost srt of "knockin' on doors", but to my surprise, I cannot get onto a plot of land. The most popular response is "I usually charge a fee/lease it out to some guys already for (up to) $1500 per season/ per guy. I have had absolutely no success. I have offered up any services (it's usually helping as a farm hand during the summer) or a nominal fee.

I do not gun hunt, archery only. Urban Sprawl is killing the sport I love in this area! I do have a spot to go about 4 hours away, but my buddy and I are lucky to get up there once a year (it's his folk's land). I have tried the public grounds........it's tough to deer hunt when there is pheasant hunting going on on the same plot.

Has anyone else run into similar issues?

Goose

RE: Land and finding it......

Postby Goose » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:04 am

Yeah they sure are not knocking down buildings to put up woods anymore. I think people are noticing this more every year. The leasing is going out of control and the average guy cant afford it anymore. Its turning into a rich mans sport and I don't see an end in sight. Don't know what to tell you, I'm not familiar with that area but keep looking, and keep knocking on doors there still are some nice folks out there who will appreciate the help. I wouldn't be afraid to put up little signs at your church or similar locations stating that there is responsible bow hunter looking to work or help out for some hunting privileges. Also ask people to go shed hunting on their land, that can open up some doors as well. Good Luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Wisconsin