No deer action but found a scrape

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
kentstate24

No deer action but found a scrape

Postby kentstate24 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:04 pm

I havent had much luck in seeing deer so far in October. Only 2 to count. I left my tree stand in the same spot I shot a nice buck last year in the rut, and havent seen much till today, now I want to know do I move it or do I stay? So I was just out hunting Friday, no deer and no deer sign in the area other than a couple spots of deer droppings. I returned to my stand yesterday to find a nicely made scrape about 20 yards from my stand, right where it was last year when the big fella came in. I was planning on moving my stand, but after finding this should I stay?

charlie 01

Re: No deer action but found a scrape

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 pm

You move, then I'll come over and put up a stand there, but I won't move.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:22 am

for sure... i haven't seen any deer from my stand yet this year either, but i've got trail cam and deer sign letting me know they are there. Stick it out, hunt the wind, and be in the stand when the action gets going... you'll be fine
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kentstate24

Postby kentstate24 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:39 pm

So guys Ive stuck to the spot, it wasnt until about two days ago, I saw my first deer this year. The best buck ive seen on the property, but he crossed at fifty yards from the scrape not shootable with a bow. Today I had the same buck come up behind me and was walking towards scrape, but winded me. Where are the other deer? Should I start looking for other doe activity?

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:28 am

I hunted last Sat morning in the stand I hadn't seen any deer out of all year... I was flat covered up in deer for the first 2 hours of light. I had deer in the field blowing at me on my walk in, then i saw at least 2 different does (3 sightings, but one may have been the same doe). I also saw a really nice buck (also out too far for a shot)... I passed on a yearling doe at 10 yards as well... I finally gave it up after the freezing rain came through twice and shut down the deer movement... Looking forward to hunting on Friday!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kentstate24

Postby kentstate24 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:42 pm

Just wanted to give an update. So I listened to your guys advice and stayed in that spot. Having seen no deer for the prior week/ week and a half. I decided to sit an extra two hours that morning. I had three bucks come in to check those scapes. I shot to the last one thru, nice 6 point. Patience pays off.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:48 pm

kentstate24 wrote:Just wanted to give an update. So I listened to your guys advice and stayed in that spot. Having seen no deer for the prior week/ week and a half. I decided to sit an extra two hours that morning. I had three bucks come in to check those scapes. I shot to the last one thru, nice 6 point. Patience pays off.

Patience is often the hardest part of hunting. I'm glad it worked out for you, well done. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Good job man! Patience is a big part of hunting!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:18 pm

good work!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Thats good stuff.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Return to All About Deer Sign