Need Advice

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
gmwilkes

Need Advice

Postby gmwilkes » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:41 am

I have been hunting for 2 years now and this will be my 3rd year. I have yet to take a deer and I'm hoping to change that this year. My first question is on a piece of property my family owns I have been given permission to hunt, and its all wooded with food sources adjacent to it. I'm wondering if after I walk the property and select a place for my ground blind would it be a bad idea to cut small trails through the property to help possibly channel deer in the direction of my stand?

My second question is is this property even going to produce anything for me this year? Could I do a small food plot near my blind to bring them to me? Its only 10 acres, so not much to work with, but it looks like a good place to catch deer moving to food sources. Any tips about this or just about hunting in general would be great. I'm definitely still learning from my own mistakes over the last 2 years and I feel confident this year, but I just need luck on my side to take one.

Deebz

Re: Need Advice

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 am

at this point, assuming your season has already started, you probably don't want to do a whole lot of messing around in your hunting area.

Both of the ideas you came up with (cutting trails as well as small food plots) would probably help you out, but you really need to do that stuff like in august...

You seem to already be aware of food sources for the deer, try to locate where they are bedding, then set up somewhere between them.

Play the wind so that you are as much downwind as you can be.

Other than that, just be out there and quiet as much as you can. I hunted for roughly 15 years before I got my first deer. The more you are out there the more you'll see, then the more you know... (cue the PBS shooting star logo)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 pm

What Deebz said. I would also consider adding one or two more locations(stands), if you can. Even on only 10 acres, you can set up multiple spots to allow you to play the wind better. It also keeps you from sitting the same spot on every hunt. I have a seven acre area with 3 stands on it. Realize, they are not intended to allow more than one hunter on that seven acres at a time. Just to allow me to move if the wind is wrong or let a spot settle for a week or two if I get busted.

Best of luck!
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

gmwilkes

Postby gmwilkes » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to buy a pop-up blind for my primary location. I also plan to use brush and maybe some of the camo canvas material to make brush blinds in areas to be able to adjust to the wind. Our bow season has started here, and muzzleloader will soon follow, however I do not own a muzzleloader and a my bow hasn't been sighted in and is outdated because the original company was put out of business for cracking limbs, so I'm sticking to rifle and shotgun hunting this year, for now.

I was thinking if I made the small food plot, that I would make trails to the plot to help funnel the deer in that direction and place/create my blinds around the trails/plot. I've attached an overview of the property and the surrounding properties to see what you might think are the best locations to place trails. I was told by the owner of the property that at the farthest edge of the property there is supposed to be a small creek running the length of the property line, but I haven't gotten to walk it yet.

As for doing this so late in the season, our gun season doesn't start until Nov 17, so I'm hoping if I go in to the property and set this up soon I'll prevent any chance of them busting my location.
Attachments
ivanhoe tr property line 2.JPG
PROPERTY OVERVIEW
ivanhoe tr property line 2.JPG (123.08 KiB) Viewed 1782 times

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Nice looking piece of property. Assuming you can only hunt the section inside the red line, without boots on the ground, and without knowing the types of food crops, I would expect most deer traffic at point B, but I think the smarter (larger) will pass through C.
I can't see the creek, even with magnification. but there is most likely a fence line to follow, the woods will form a funnel of sorts between the buildings, as the deer head for the edges of the crop fields skirting, or trimming the edges of the woods for cover.
I would take a hard look at C, locate the existing trails, and figure out why they are where they are there (bedding, food, water, ect.)before making any changes to the trails. Find where they feel safe to drink, and where to cross that creek. Good luck, and let us know how you do. ;)
ivanhoe tr property line 2(c).jpg
ivanhoe tr property line 2(c).jpg (468.97 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gmwilkes

Postby gmwilkes » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks, I appreciate it. I plan to try and walk the property the first week of novemeber, and hopefully if I have a trail cam by then put one up in the area you noted to see if theres any movement. I may try and see if the creek has any worn areas where the deer have been crossing and follow it back within the property to see where theyre coming from and put a cam there instead...

I just feel like teaching myself is more of a hinderence to myself. I dont really have a lot of family that hunts, actually none really at all, and it seems that its tough to learn on your own. We'll see how it works out, and I'll definitely let yall know what I get out of it this year. Also, any tips you all might have on making a ground blind?

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Sounds like you have an ok plan to start with. I wouldn't be cutting any lanes to funnel deer though. Not saying that wouldn't work, but in your situation, leave no evidence of your presence in the woods. Find some good travel routes coming and going to feeding and bedding areas. Sit and observe for a day or two. From there, you can fine tune your stand set ups and really learn how the deer are moving thru your area. I think its better to learn on your own and not pick up on someone else's habits, which they could be bad or good. Everyone's routine is different. Only you know what works well for you. But never be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes, different ideas can work. Let us know how it goes this season. good luck.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

gmwilkes

Postby gmwilkes » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:45 am

Well I was looking at a 3d view of the property and while looking it looks like there's a gap that runs down the middle of the property in the trees. Not sure if its a slight draw in the middle but I'm thinking it runs all the way to the back edge of the property from the road to the creek. So now I'm thinking of putting my blind near the intersection point of the opening and the creek after I walk the property and confirm this being what it appears to be. I'm looking forward to hitting the woods and ill let you know how it works out

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:49 pm

sounds like a classic funnel to me... good luck!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:42 pm

gmwilkes

If I were you I would not change anything yet. Deer do not like change and there is not enough time before your season for the deer to adjust to the changes. Looking at your arial map there is lots of trails leading to the food sources, find one that the deer are using heavly and stake it out. Remember a deers number one defenses are sight of motion and sound followed by scent. walk quitely and slowly to your spot and look ahead while listening for movement. Get there early and leave late. good luck with your hunt.

Next

Return to Best Practices