I let one walk...

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
PrairieShadow

RE: I let one walk...

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:24 pm

I have sat 3 times this year and have passed on 3 bucks that would go no less than 125. The 5x6 that i speak of here, a 5x5, and a 4x5.

I watched this deer go from this to this.

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Wow, congrats on the trigger patience...I realize how well it did after passing it up but that first pic is a very nice deer.  I would say 3.5 from the rack...Body isn't that big but I wouldn't imagine a 2.5 to be that big on the rack.  Congrats again!  Show's what QDM can do!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:49 pm

This deer was harvested last year by the landowner a mile north of where i hunt and after seeing him up close i would say he is 4.5 in the 2nd pic. 3.5 in the 1st.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:43 am

The season is young. If you didn't feel like it was the one, then it wasn't. Now me on the other hand... I would be sending a post with the caption, "Hey check this one out. I just filled the freezer..."

Cyber pats on the back:
[ol][*]September is way to early to be tagging out for the season...
[*]September is way to hot to be cutting up deer...
[*]15 yards is way too long of a shot. Better safe than sorry...
[*]I understand... I don't like to shoot big deer either... They are way too much trouble to get out of the woods... I like the small ones...
[*]He would have been too tough to make steaks anyway...[/ol]
Good luck...
From those who much is given, much is expected

SDArcher

Postby SDArcher » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:39 pm

ORIGINAL: Legnip

The season is young. If you didn't feel like it was the one, then it wasn't. Now me on the other hand... I would be sending a post with the caption, "Hey check this one out. I just filled the freezer..."

Cyber pats on the back:
[*]I understand... I don't like to shoot big deer either... They are way too much trouble to get out of the woods... I like the small ones...

Good luck...

Hahahaahaa,  I love it.  I told you that you should have shot him.  That is if he was at least 3.5 years old.  Just remember that whatever you shoot this year goes on the wall.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:35 am

ORIGINAL: Legnip

Cyber pats on the back:

Good luck...

Hey thanks guys!! you sure know how to make a guy know he has done the right thing!!  lol

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:41 am

We can take 3 bucks a season in Alabama and in the southern part of the state where I hunt that's a wall hanger!  That would be deer #1 for the year no matter how hot it was!  I envy those of you that hunt in areas where you get to make decisions like that!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:10 am

Yeah i guess i should be very happy i can pass a deer like that and not lose sleep over it.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:18 am

I'm like you Prairie.  I've let a lot of bucks walk.  Especially 8's that weren't "mature" yet.  Maybe their bone structure was but not muscle and antler development.  It's tough to do, BUT I just enjoy the sights and know that I still have an excuse to get away from the house because my tag isn't used up.  So it's justifiable.  I usually hunt a specific deer that I have on Trail cameras throughout the year.  This year I've got a 10 pointer that I first saw during the last season of Turkey Hunting in Wisconsin this spring.  He had 8 distinguishable points at that time (late May).  He has a lot of mass.  I don't know if I'll see him now that the rut is starting to kick in, as a matter of fact, I haven't seen him on my camera since Early September.  I'm pretty sure he's to the East of the property I hunt, just hanging out having a Bud, sniffing the does.  He'll be around soon enough, I just have to be there when he comes.

Good luck!

PrairieShadow

RE: I let one walk... (EDIT...Tagged one!!)

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:36 pm

I got to my stand today at about 2pm, the temp was 27F and the wind was blowing so hard (33mph gust to 45mph)that i was pretty much just holding on for dear life as the tree wasnt overly big that my stand is in and was trying to decide if i would even be able to shoot.

At about 3pm a doe and 2 fawns made their was by my stand, at roughly 4pm a nice 4x4 snuck up on me and even though i had my bow on my lap i still couldnt draw with out him busting me as he was at about 15yds when i first saw him, he then proceeded to about 6yds before moving on about 75yds and working a scape for a full 10mins. he then moved off even further and dissappeared out of site.

I was kicking myself for not being ready as if i was i would have been able to shoot. I sat their replaying it all in my head and trying to decide if he was the one i wanted to fill my tag on. I decided that if the shot presented itself that i woud take it.

at 430 i saw the same buck coming back towards me right at my stand, if he stayed this course he would pass within 3yds of my stand. He got to about 25yds and then took a different trail than the one that when by my stand. He took a trail that went right to my favorite shooting lane! Stopped perfectly broadside(slightly quartering away) at 15yds in the middle of the shooting lane. I let the rage 3 fly and it connected perfectly right behind the shoulder and exited low right behind the opposite shoulder disconnecting the rear top half of the pump station. He ran about 125yds and tipped over..

Ill put a write-up on the performance of the rage 3 in the broadhead form after i butcher the deer in the morning.

Heres the pics!!  What a perfect night

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management