Help me!

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Bortzhunter2012

Help me!

Postby Bortzhunter2012 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Alright so I recently purchased 3, 125grain broadheads. They are monsters. But I have carbon arrows and my draw weight is in 30-40pounds. Are they to big? Should I get 100 grain? Help Me.

charlie 01

Re: Help me!

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:44 pm

I believe you will have problems with them, but you could try shooting a 125 grain head and see how they fly. Dosen't have to be the new ones you bought just as long as they are 125 gr.. You surely won't have any problems with 100gr heads. I have a question. What state do you live and or hunt in, and do you know the hunting laws for bow hunting. In Illinois the minumum draw weight is 45lbs..
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:09 pm

I'd change to 100gr. If you haven't opened them, perhaps the store will take them back.

I'm not an arrow speed junkie, but only shooting 30-40lbs, I think you need to lighten up your arrow as much as possible. Many in this forum will say mass kills, not speed, and I agree. However it sounds to me as if you need some speed given you're only pulling 30-40lbs.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:28 am

100 or 125 grains will both kill deer. But here's one more thing to consider...arrow flight. Good arrow flight helps you actually put the arrow where it needs to go, AND it also helps increase penetration , which is a factor for you with the lower weight that your pulling.

I'd say go with the one that tunes best with your set up.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 pm

I got to ask...Why are you shooting 30-40 pounds? Are you young or old so the pull of a larger bow would be too much? Damaged? We have several hunters on here who have been badly hurt, Can you hunt with a crossbow in your state? That would give you a lot more penetration, and you could use just about any heads you choose. I also shoot a lighter bow when I use a compound. I use an Indian Stalker 45-55lbs and even at 55lbs, I seldom get a full pass through. With the crossbow, I get two holes, and a heavy blood trail. (because there is no arrow plugging the holes)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Bortzhunter2012

Postby Bortzhunter2012 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:56 am

I live in PA im younger and i dont like having heavy draw weights the peak draw weight in PA is 35. There is no max. draw weight.

Return to Off Topic