Acorn Rage a Gimick>?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rtf9769

Acorn Rage a Gimick>?

Postby rtf9769 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:43 am

I hunt woods that have an abundance of acorns already, so ive mainly seen no use for the stuff. But recnetly ive seen a huge decline in the sale price..Back oh a few seasons ago it was well over 25.00. Now yesterday I was browsing the hunting dept of the local wal-mart, and it had a bag for only 10.00. So has the demand gone down from its bogus claim? Or has wal-mart monopolized the acorn rage supplies:P

Ive always be very curious on the stuff personally..It seems liek a huge investment per hunt to lay a ten dollar bill on the gorund?

Demoderby4

RE: Acorn Rage a Gimick>?

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:32 am

the price went down a lot around me but thats probably because they banned feeding and baiting of deer here, i was gonna try it out this year but that wont be happening, give it a try once on one of yer hunts if baiting is still legal, 10 bucks is worth a try imo.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:22 am

Never tryed the stuff... Like Demoderby4 said if you live in an area with a baiting ban it could be why. I have noticed all that stuff go dirt cheap. Heack a nice feader right now that was normaly $110 is now down to under $50..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Ive tried everything in front of my cams in the off season. From whitetail institute stuff to the stuff in wally world. Nothing has produced any results yet.

If the deer have the nutirients naturally then they arent going to touch the man made stuff, plain and simple.

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:11 pm

If it's legal, try peanut butter as an alternative-- take a big plastic jar of the stuff, cut holes in the bottom. Take the lid and screw it to the underside of a low limb.   It tastes and smells about the same as acorns.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:36 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

If it's legal, try peanut butter as an alternative-- take a big plastic jar of the stuff, cut holes in the bottom. Take the lid and screw it to the underside of a low limb.   It tastes and smells about the same as acorns.

I have tried this, although not to hunt over.  Takes about a week and the peanut butter is gone.  Not sure if its deer or coons or something else though.  Probably should put a camera over it, might make for some interesting pictures if it's deer.

Haven't ever tried the acorn rage, rather than spend the money I could probably just gather acorns myself and save them for the hunting season if I wanted to use something similar.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:30 am

I was thinking of trying some of this stuff some time.  Any results from anybody, deer results.

Return to General Discussions