Rage 3 review

PrairieShadow

Rage 3 review

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:21 am

I finally got to take a deer with the rage 3's lastnight. The deer was @ 12yds and slightly quartering away.

The rage entered right behind the shoulder and exited through the rear part of the far shoulder. It was not a pass through but the arrow broke off with about 15in of arrow still connected to the business end so the rage made its way clean through the deer.

Upon inspecting the sight of the shot i found half the arrow with the rage attached. only one blade was fully opened when i picked it up but thought that maybe when it fell out 2 of the blades closed some.

Today i butchered the deer and upon inspection of the entry/exit wounds i found that only one blade had fully deployed as it was clear that one blade was over double the cut as the other 2. The other 2 may have opened maybe 1/4 of what they should. almost still locked in place. The one blade that did deploy fully was the only one that connected with bone on the entry.

I'm very dissapointed with the performance. Yes it did kill the quickly after about 125yd run but if im paying 40 bucks for 3 heads they had better deploy correctly.

Here is a picture of what the head looked like after and you can clearly see that only one blade actually deployed.[8|]

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

schlupis

RE: Rage 3 review

Postby schlupis » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:26 am

I shoot the Rage 2 blades and never have had a problem with the blades opening I have killed 4 deer with them and on all 4 the blades were fully deployed. I killed 2 deer with one head and 2 deer with the other head..

I have heard other people having probs with the Rage 3 blades that is why I tried the 2 Blades am very much impressed with them... Before you give up on the heads give the 2 blades a try I think you will be happy with them, besides cuts a bigger hole than the 3's anyways..

Good luck and great buck.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:14 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

I shoot the Rage 2 blades and never have had a problem with the blades opening I have killed 4 deer with them and on all 4 the blades were fully deployed. I killed 2 deer with one head and 2 deer with the other head..

I have heard other people having probs with the Rage 3 blades that is why I tried the 2 Blades am very much impressed with them... Before you give up on the heads give the 2 blades a try I think you will be happy with them, besides cuts a bigger hole than the 3's anyways..

Good luck and great buck.

Id love to give the 2's a try but they are illegal in SD as they have to big of a cutting diameter.[8|]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:06 am

I would write to rage and send those pics.. Let them know what ya think.. Maybe they'll give you another pack for free.Worth a shot.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Murie51

Postby Murie51 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:10 am

I have shot 2 deer with the Rage 3 broadheads and did not like them at all.  The first deer I shot with one, only 1 blade deployed and the arrow didn't make it all the way through the deer at 20 yards.  The deer hardly bled and I had 3 hours of tracking to find the deer.  The second time only 2 blades deployed and barely made a complete pass through.  That shot was at 12 yards and I had very little blood to track on.  Not happy with them at all.  I will stick with the Muzzy MX3 broadheads. 
"Good intensions are fraught with disappointment" - Grissom

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:05 pm

I wrote rage an email today with the pics.

I will let you guys know what i hear back from them.

Return to Broadheads