Field Dressing

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
matterhan

RE: Field Dressing

Postby matterhan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:27 am

Anybody here hang there deer from the hind legs to field dress?  I use a loader tractor and hang them up after bunging the deer.  Zip them open from pelvis to sternum and the guts basically fall out.  Split the breastbone cut the windpipe and you are done.  I also rinse and cool with a hose.  This method works great except if you have a cape you are trying to save.  Then I just do them on the tail gate and hang them from the head and rinse them out.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:05 am

youtube.com

just type in field dressing a deer.. Lots of them are on there. I know this one wont be of much help but it shows a guy field dress one in a min thirty! Im sure youll be able to find what you need in there.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:15 am

Dang!

I just got back in from the morning hunt on Opening Day.  There was one scraggly buck and 4 does spaced out over the morning, but nothing worth shooting showed itself. 

Good thing I had a mess of my Mom's good field dressing in a ziplock bag to munch on!  Yum.  She's started making a lot more bland-- she and Dad have to watch their stomachs.  However, I put a little zip back into mine by sprinkling in some Cajone seasoning. . . (or is that Cajun seasoning?) . .. whatever.

[:D]
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:58 am

Field dressing is easy once you do it.I don't split the pelvic bone.I use to save the liver and heart.I carried them in a plastic bag. 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

tjmeyers

Postby tjmeyers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:57 am

There's a pretty good tutorial here Wisconsin Outdoor News. Go to "Deer Hunting," then to "Deer Processing (a pictorial)." It's pretty good.

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:05 am

takes practice, but easy as riding a bike over time

Previous

Return to General Discussions