Hello All

Northern Steel

Hello All

Postby Northern Steel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:23 pm

I just signed up after viewing a few threads here. It looks like there is a lot of good information and more importantly friendly users. In the threads I've read so far it seems nothing but positive information is being shared.
I'll start with a little bio about myself. I moved to La Crosse last winter from the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. I am currently a stay at home dad with my 9 month old daughter which is more fun then I could have ever imagined. The one downside is that I haven't spent as much time in the woods as I used to, but I'll happily take the tradeoff.
I haven't been out hunting yet but have done some scouting while walking the woods with my daughter. I am curious about the MFL land that is in Wisconsin. I understand the general idea behind it from literature i picked up. I read that the land can be designated open or closed to the public at the landowners discretion. Upon talking to an enrolled landowner (who graciously granted permisson to hunt) he thought the MFL were all "closed" and permission was needed. Any input on this?
I am extremely exicted to be able to hunt in Wisconsin albeit most likely only a few times this year, and I look forward to learning as much as I can about hunting farmlands, as I have strictly hunted the big woods of the U.P.
Thanks for looking!

Goose

RE: Hello All

Postby Goose » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:38 am

Welcome Northern Steel ! Their is nothing but good people on this forum and Im sure youll learn alot,I know I am!Congrats on your daughter,enjoy every minute you can!
Okay deer hunting, I dont know alot about the MFL's so hopefully someone else can pipe in. You havent missed to much out in the woods, I think its just starting to pick up a little. I think youll enjoy hunting the farmlands here compare to the big woods. Hopefully youll see more deer. My advice to you is to try to get in good with some farmers even helping them in the summer. Youll be surprised what a helping hand will get you. Good luck and keep in touch!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:06 pm

Hello Northern Steel! It's awesome to have another fellow Wisconsinite on here. I also don't know much about the MFL. I am pretty sure you will really enjoy hunting the Wisconsin rolling hills and farmland. It's great and alot of fun. Have fun with your daughter and make sure she's a hunter someday.
Kyle

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:15 am

Hi NorthernSteel.  Welcome to Wisconsin!  Good question, you've got me curious about it now too.  I'll have to look it up! 

Good luck!  Your doing a great thing, your daughter will benefit from having you home with her so much.  I've got a little guy (5 months old) and with my wife working full time now, I'm spending more and more time with him than any of my other kids!  He's an absoult gift and I can't wait until he can start enjoying the outdoors with me.  He already likes watching the hunting shows with me!!!

Take care and good hunting!!!

Return to Wisconsin