Rage 2 review

JPH

Rage 2 review

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:13 am

I've fielded a couple of questions via PM re. my recent bow kill using the Rage-2 broadhead, so I'd like to tell the full story. First of all, I am the luckiest guy to ever strap himself into a tree stand. You'll understand why in a moment.

I was hunting a wooded, inside corner in high wind conditions, mid-morning, Nov. 7th. 

My inital shot was broadside at 20 yards. I had bleated him to a stop and he was in an open lane, but I rushed the shot. I just did not settle in. Shame on me! The arrow smacked him in the right shoulder blade with about 3" of penetration. He lurched forward and broke the shaft off within a few steps. I could see a huge hole with immediately heavy bleeding as he hobbled 30-40 yards.

He then stopped and stood about 40 yards from my stand for about 3-5 minutes! I was praying that he'd go down, but he did not even lower his head. There were a ton of limbs in the way so I could not shoot.

Then, amazingly, he turned around and began to approach my stand via another trail! He was was about to walk into my scent steam. I had a small hole in the branches (about the size of a basketball) that lead to a another 20 yard limping shot. It was not the kind of shot I would normally take, but I felt I had to. As he stepped into the opening, I bleated again and released. The arrow punched right through him at about mid-ship. He turned uphill and began the death run.

He laid down after another 30 yards and I watched him with my binocs for another few minutes. Then he got up again and started running downhill! I was looking for a third shot when he nosed in for good. He had made a big half-circle around my stand and was lying in plain sight. I could see the second wound gaping open as blood and air escaped. Finally he quit breathing and bleeding.

The post-mortum revealed the following:
The deer had a field dressed weight of 195 lbs. and an estimated live weight of 245 lbs.
Shot #1 = The rt. shoulder blade shot (all my fault) had badly dammaged the bone and had made a dime sized hole in the chest cavity. The broadhead and a small amout of the shaft remained lodged until butchering. I think that shot would have eventually killed him and he was putting down a good blood trail, but it would have been a long day.
Shot # 2 = The rt. mid-ship shot took out the rear of both lungs, just ahead of the diaphram. The arrow flight was perfect, when I really needed it to be. The broadhead fully deployed on contact and made huge wounds going in and out. The blood trail looked like someone shaking out a paintbrush at that point. Again, air and blood could be seen coming out at 40 yards!

IMO, this is a superior broadhead. And while I am not a superior archer, I am supremely blessed.

PrairieShadow

RE: Rage 2 review

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 am

Sounds to me like the 2 blades are the only way to go. I'v heard of and experienced problems with the 3's on a regular basis.

To bad the 2's are illegal in SD. Im going to have to stick with the fixed blades i guess.

Again, Great Deer JPH!!!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks for the review, I am impressed with the shoulder blade penitration. Obviously not desired but interesting none the less. Again great deer and congrats!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Nice buck JPH,  and I appreciate the honesty in your review.  I think stories like yours are the whole reason for our never ending quest for the perfect broadhead.   I just switched to the rage 2 blade after a shoulder shot with last years head.  I have not shot any deer with them yet but I have all the confidence they'll do there job.  Dandy deer!!!  
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:54 am

I used the Rage 2 for the 1st time this season . I was amazed at the size of the opening the 2 blade made on my deer . I took out both of his lungs with a complete pass through . The only thing I don't like about the Rage 2 is getting them to lock closed ! They are a bit tricky to lock . I know they fly great at 35 yards !

JPA

Postby JPA » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:25 am

JPH

I knew I would see you with a nice buck.  Congrats on the deer.  The first deer I ever shot I shot twice.

Jason

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:41 am

These posts are going to give me the reputation as a slob hunter, but I have to be honest. "Keeping it real" as they say.

I had a slight quartering away shot at 25 yards yesterday morning. The lane was junky but the shot looked clear at the time. I may not have been well settled but I could not believe that my arrow hit so far off. I am convinced that I struck a twig (the view on the ground was not nearly as clear as it was from the tree) but we'll never know for certain.

Anyway, the arrow struck him in the right hind leg! I was in a total panic as he ran off, then walked out into an open pasture and laid down. He stayed in that spot for an hour. What I did not know at the time was that the Rage-2 had gone clear through his back ham and exited low in his belly, but the shaft remained in. I do not know what became of the broadhead and the last 6" of arrow, but I found the fletching and main shaft in that bed. When he finally got up from that bed, his gut was hanging out. He actually lost 18" of it when he crossed a fence on the far side of the pasture. I waited 8 hours, but he left a lot of blood after the fence crossing and had been dead for several hours when I got to him. Again, wether it was a twig or my bad form, I am not proud of the shot. In fact I am ashamed, but proud that I never gave up on him.

But the pont behind this post is to once again sing the prases of the Rage-2! The cutting diameter alone opened this deer up and saved me from a terrible end to my bow season. I hope to never gut shoot another deer but if I do, God forbid, the Rage-2 will give me a fighting chance.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:53 am

JPH, How many bucks you guys get to kill in a season down south[:D]

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:56 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

JPH, How many bucks you guys get to kill in a season down south[:D]

I guess I should have mentioned that this hunt was in Missouri. Sorry about that.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:56 am

gotchya, I thought maybe iowa was a 2 buck state.  Thats a good deal that you get to hunt 2 states!

Next

Return to Broadheads