indecision about rut

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
xmatax

indecision about rut

Postby xmatax » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Need some quick feedback...

Rut is coming and my uncle wants to go cut trees and log firewood this coming Sunday. We already hunt in a high pressure area. I'm off basically all next week and I'm afraid this will impact the days I have off. I have another property I can hunt that is untouched but it's over an hour away. Should I stay at my uncles and hunt the property knowing he is going to be disturbing the woods right before the best hunting of the year or should I travel to this untouched property instead.

Thanks in advance!!!

bobow

Re: indecision about rut

Postby bobow » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Is there some way you could reason with your uncle & politely ask him to reconsider the timing?

It is too late to cut firewood for this year anyway. You should be cutting for next year or the year after.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:28 pm

He already cut the trees down its mostly cutting into manageable pieces to load on a trailer and then haul out. The problem is both places we cut are by stands we planned to hunt this week because we stay out of them in October.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Honestly,

Cutting wood is not going to affect the deer movement much if any.

Particularly when the deer are rutting.

They will literally walk INTO a semi-truck as it is barreling toward them at 80 MPH. They aren't going to notice some wood having been cut a few hours earlier.

Hunt it.
"You can overdo anything."

Montana Man

Postby Montana Man » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:35 am

I agree as long as your not cutting wood while you are hunting the deer usually will come back and it shouldn't be a problem.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:30 am

As far as that goes, I can remember walking in to the timber with Dad when I was like 15 for an afternoon hunt. We were bummed out when we saw the farmer down at the timber running his log splitter. We stopped and chatted, then headed on to our stands. As we rounded the point of timber behind the farmer's log splitting set-up, a NICE (not monster-bucks nice, but a solid 130 class buck) jumped up out of his bed and took off. That buck was bedded about 40 yards away from the log splitter machine on the opposite side of the narrow timber strip between the two fields....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Return to General Discussions