Deer Tic's Share Your Thoughts

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
thule

Deer Tic's Share Your Thoughts

Postby thule » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:15 am

Hey guys,

Was out in the woods doing some scouting and long and behold I had a deer tick on me. Sucker got in and I didnt even feel it. Once the burn set in it rang the alarm! I pulled him out cleaned the area and I seem fine now. No redness no swelling I'm just a little tired. Could be mental who knows. Just looking for some feedback. Has anyone else been bitten? Please enlighting me because as a new hunter I'm thinking maybe I should stay out of the woods. This has put a damper on my spirts, I've put so much time and effort into this hunt and now a set back! It stinks!

PrairieShadow

RE: Deer Tic's Share Your Thoughts

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 am

I have had many ticks on me before. I just pull them out and go on about life. Not a big deal to me anymore i guess.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:43 am

I end up pulling several ticks off me every year.  Never this late though.  Talked to a doctor about lyme disease once, said it's pretty rare in our area.  Said if it was a concern for me the treatment was a simple antibiotic called amoxycilline (sp?) which he tends to give me for other stuff too.

If you don't have a rash or swollen area you should be fine.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:02 pm

I do not get many ticks during deer season, but during turkey season I am a walking tick farm. I hate to think of how many times I've been bitten.

My wife once got a badly swollen gland b/c of a tick bite. They put her on antibiotics and left it at that.

They are no big deal. If you get a rash or a big lump, go see a dr., otherwise it's part of being in the woods.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:01 pm

I agree with JPH, it's part of hunting no big deal.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 pm

are you talking about that microscopic type tick? i went fourwheelin and campin down in ky one time and ended up with hundreds all over my legs, i cant believe god even made such an annoying creature. i can deal with regular sized ticks but those deer ticks are a pain the a**

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Turkey hunting, trout fishing, and deer scouting all include dealing with ticks. No big deal, just pull em out making sure you get the head then keep on going. Like stated above if you get the red ring or lump have it checked out by a doctor.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Ticks get bad in the fall, almost as bad as they are in the spring.  I had several on me in the middle of October during the T-Zone gun hunt here in WI.  I wasn't aware of it, but when I had some on me, I remembered my vet had said something about it a few years back when I got by dog.  Yes, they do cycle, but it's not the end of the world.  Like so many have said, just pull it out, if it's really embedded, put vaseline over the area where the tick is, so it can't breath, and comes out.  During the following week, check to make sure there isn't a red ring around the area where it was embedded.  If so, consult a doctor.  If not, carry on with life.  The good side of the whole situation, it gives you a chance to check your wife or gf too ;-).  For precautionary reasons of course.  lol

thule

Postby thule » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:11 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. O and by the way checking the wife for ticks was the most enjoyable part! Question thou, is tick spray the way to go? Would this give my scent away? How about them tic dog collars wrap around my ankles over my clothing?

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:57 am

Never seen a deer tick myself, but many wood ticks.  Never been bitten to be honest.
No Sacrifice, No Victory!

Next

Return to General Discussions