Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

buckwild

Re: Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Postby buckwild » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:43 am

bouhntr wrote:a friend of mine went hunting this morning. monday 22nd in columbia county, said he saw more deer than he could count, bucks chasing does, bucks chasing bucks, making scrapes , grunting . he said it was 1 of his best days out. we all better get out there, thay are getting it going

Thats exciting! Okay... come on weekend...
Semper Fidelis!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:55 pm

No action yesterday morning. The woods was very silent all morning. Nothing on the move in the area I hunted. I did see a small buck chasing a doe right around daylight a few miles from my area. That was it. Last minute plans took away my opportunity to hunt today. Next weekend Im hitting it hard.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:59 pm

went out friday morning, around 730 I hit my can call. a couple minutes later a small six came straight to my tree , walked pass and headed back behind me. sat till a little after 9 wwithout another deer. was gone for the weekend, but went out this afternoon, sunday 28th and didn't see a deer. work tomorrow then off for a few weeks, hopefully I can make something happen, a friend of mine scouted some public land for a day, sat two days and shot a nice 8 pointer. i can't figure out how people can do that. I set stands way in advance, try to be as sent free as I can, be as quiet as I can and put in many hours in the stand just to wait for a moment like that, i am very happy for him, but I wish it could be that easy for me some times. wll good luck everyone and be safe.

unkleboo

Postby unkleboo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:29 am

Saw a 1.5 yr 5pt with lots of light to spare on Saturday late afternoon. Walking like he hadn't a care in the world on the edge of a picked corn field. 6 antler less deer fed nearby, he paid them no mind. Sunday morning had three shootable deer under my tree which I passed on due to either being too young or having a very young buckfawn in tow. The mama of that buckfawn was enormous, big bodied even if it'd have been a buck, but I didn't want to orphan her youngster so I let her pass. All in all a very satisfying weekend. Seeing deer equates to success in my book. The deer will come. I hunt up in Monroe Co. (between Wilton and Ontario) On the drive back to Madison last night saw a buck in a field plain as day, again with plenty of light left. Saw three bucks on the shoulder hit by cars, so they're starting to move now.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:03 am

Heading back up to Necedah later this afternoon, want to get a sit in tonight yet. My son will be up after midnight and we'll hit it hard this weekend.

Was very disappointed in the lack of movement last weekend and hope that the situation will be better this time up there. More chasing, more responses to calls, more sightings, etc. I'd like to see some good buck action this weekend.

Good luck to everyone hunting this weekend and remember ... safety first.
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:55 am

Sat every day but Wednesday this week and didn't see a mature buck during the evening sits.

Planning to sit all day Sat, Sunday and Monday this weekend, and morning sits on Tuesday and Thursday and afternoon sit on Friday.

Still lots of trail camera pictures of mature bucks, but all during the evening. Wind should be perfect for me on Monday, which is why I switched it up, time will tell.

Be safe everyone, and shoot straight.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:19 pm

No action at all today. Seen many lone doe's feeding in the cut cornfields on the drive home tonight and seen no bucks out with them. Tomorrow Im sitting most of the day. This rut is off to a slow start.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Another slow afternoon in the woods. Seen one deer around 4:30 trotting a good pace across a draw about 100 yards. Couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe. Other than that, nothing moving.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:27 pm

sorry for the long story, but I went out this morning, had a buck come under my stand just before shooting light" couldn't see my pin" about an hour later 8- 830 I rattled and grunted . a few minutes later a small buck came in around 40 yards, turned and went the way he came, around 9 a doe came running by behind me and around 9 30 another doe came by about 70 yrds out . went home, warmed up, got a bite to eat and went to a different stand around 1 30 . about 2 I had a doe come past my stand with a giant behind her about 20 yards . when I drew the doe must have seen me because she bolted about 25 yards and he ran about 40. he started to come back to the doe , she took off again and he followed her, I was just sick. around 3 a decent ten came in the same place the doe did and stood 5 yards in front my stand facing me and would not turn broadside. he stepped back a little then ran behind my stand ,into the brush , I made a soft grunt and I could see him coming back, then he turned and walked away. I thought are you kidding me. around 5 a lonsesome doe walk by at 70 yards and was gone, no arrows flew but a really good day all in all, oh yea I hunt in cwd and about a month ago I had lost 2 buck stickers from shooting 2 does last season, I went to the dnr and they issued me 1 replacement, tonight getting out of my stand I just happen to look down and there they were, I couldn't believe it, I called a friend who is a dnr warden to see if they are still valid and he said yes, but only 2 of them. I would have to rip 1 up and throw it away.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:07 pm

todays hunt, nov 4 was like someone turned a light switch off, yesterday was an awsome day and today was really quiet, had 1 small buck at first light and only two lone does this afternoon. hard to believe it can change that quick.I was suppose to be off for the next few weeks but they called me back to work tomorrow,I just can"t get a break. well good luck to everyone who will be hunting, and be safe

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin