Your Lowest Stand height

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
HiddenHornsRanch

RE: Your Lowest Stand height

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:44 pm

My lowest stand height is 15 feet and that only because its a tripod stand, and thats only because the trail where I put it had trees like PrairieShadow put it, that were twigs that definitely swayed when the wind blew, and with my weight added probaly would not be a good combo, so I purchased a tripod stand and needless to say its great because I have seen that buck 3 times just out of bow range, but the rest are higher, with one box blind for rifle, and portable pop up blind.
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:59 am

I shot the biggest buck of my life from a skinny tree, at about 8'. I killed the 2nd biggest buck of my life from the same tree, at 12'. These were both archery kills.

I try to be up at around 20'-30' but it's more about location than height. IMO

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:03 am

I had an old 6' wooden stepladder . I attached a piece of plywood to the top and cinched it to a pine tree . I had good cover but limited shooting opportunity as trimming the branches would have reduced my ability to be hidden . I shot one doe from that stand but didn't like being so limited to any shots .

Jaybo1300

Postby Jaybo1300 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:11 am

I have a stand I'm putting up this week that is only 8-9' to the platform. I'm putting it up in a pretty thick creek bottom so I can just get above the line of sight of deer. Too thick in there for a blind or a 15' or 20' ladder, which are my real preference. If you have trouble sitting still, you need to be higher up.

See you in the woods!!!!!!

Previous

Return to Tree Stands