Deer Tic's Share Your Thoughts

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dmcianfa

RE: Deer Tic's Share Your Thoughts

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:07 am

Here is a link to the Michigan site I use to identify, remove, and treat ticks and its symptoms.  Pretty handy.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda_tickborneillness_10349_7.pdf
[/align]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:52 am

If you start getting a ring-rash, go see the doc.  I got a doozey about 5 years ago, and they started me on antibiotics and tested me for Lyme disease, but it came back negative.  The doc was not interested until I told her I had been hiking out of state .  Then she got worried and ran the test.

Outside of that, it's been just part of the game.  I pick dozens of ticks off me every year.  Nothing to it.  Don't use any of the home remedies, just pick them off with your finger nails.   Some of the home remedies, like alcohol or a burning cigarette just make the tick disgorge their stomach contents into you as they are dying. You want the tick alive as it's coming off.  I was trying rubbing alcohol on a swab when I got the ring rash.  Every ring rash from a tick bite needs to be seen by a doctor, otherwise the normal tick related welts can be treated the same as a skeeter's.

If you're in a Lyme-prone area, save the ticks on cellophane tape and tape them to a card with the date. It'll help if you start getting symptoms. I just keep an empty soda bottle by the bed, and toss them in there.

There are a dozen or so Tick-borne diseases that most people never encounter.  Lyme is just one. Some are much worse, but very rare.  My wife survived Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever as a kid-- almost unknown in her part of the world, Southern Kentucky. It was just lucky a doctor at the hospital recognized it from living out West.  Otherwise she'd have been dead in a matter of hours.

In the summer, I seldom get attachment.  They tend to crawl up my back and don't start trying to dig in until they get to the back of my neck at the hair line.  I stay vigilant there. I also keep my beard short as soon as the weather gets warm.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:55 am

Thanks for the information.

thule

Postby thule » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:17 am

Shaman along with everyone else, Thank you for all the information. Its been 3 days and I'm heading to the doctors. Spoke to him on the phone and when I told him it was a deer tic he suggested antiboitics and bloodwork within 6 weeks. Was bit on Sunday and Monday morning I was already coughing and feeling tired. Tuesday rolls around and more coughing and throat feeling swollen. Here we are Wednesday and I've decided to take the drugs, even thou I hate popping any kind of pills.. Maybe its just a cold, maybe its something else. Wish me luck..

Previous

Return to General Discussions