Breathing-nose or mouth

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: Breathing-nose or mouth

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:40 am

I think that you are an anomaly and other hunters should not feel like they "live in a locker room" if they get winded by dead downwind deer.

Weeeell.......if you get winded by a DEAD downwind deer, then you probably DO smell like a locker room or worse! (Just funnin' you..)

Anomaly, huh? LOL! I've been described as a lot of things, but that's a first!

Actually, I agree with you. I don't doubt the difficulties that you and many others have with scent detection, because I've seen it too. I DO know that with myself, the times that I have knowingly been busted, it was obvious that the deer knew what I was, and got the heck out of there, and/or blew like a freight train in the process.

I believe that out of the 3 defensive senses that deer have, the sense of smell is the one they rely and trust the most. You can fool the eyes, and the ears (although not at the same time), but CANNOT fool their sense of smell.

I also bathe before I hunt, and if I do come back to camp for lunch and cook anything I will wash my head/hair before I go back out, as hair, IMO, holds a lot of odors. The good thing about this, is that the way mine's falling out, in a few more years that may be a moot point!  [:D]

I also wonder that because of the ghillie suit I wear on the ground, if that doesn't help hold my scent in also?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:39 am

It might be that they are winding you but they just don't care.  I've watched deer try to smell me when I'm in a stand, then go on about their business.  Maybe the smelled me, maybe they didn't, but whatever they smelled didn't bother them.  We spend a lot of time in our woods, year round, so our scent may not be associated with danger. 

Movement on the other hand makes them very nervous.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:50 am

I too am tough about controling my scent. Bathing with scent eliminating soap, even in my hair. No scent deordorant. Rubber boots, washed gear in scent eliminators/UV killers, stored in a tote with earth scented dryer sheets. A spray down every time I walk out too the woods. But what im weak on is my breath. Im a reformed smoker of 5 months now. I still crave the damn things (smoked 15 yrs.) I've even taken deer with a smoke in my mouth. But now because i still crave I have the occasional hard candy. Used to use cough drops but i know they stink too much. But I am concious about breathing through my nose. If i concentrate on the way too stand on the cold days, I can keep my nose from running. Its autopilot for me now as i have been practicing this for years. I do believe more scent comes from the mouth than the nose. Its just makes sense.
Venison - the other red meat

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:02 am

Congratulations on quitting smoking.  I stopped 10 years ago this November 23rd.  Hardest thing I ever did.  Cravings finally went away after about 3 years.  I do have the occassional cigar now when I'm up on the farm and only there, but that's rarely and nothing like my 3 pack a day habit back in the 90's.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:27 am

Thanks ranwin as you well know it hasnt been easy. I already know my scent is better for the lack of nicotine and tar residue on my fingers and lips. most smokers dont even think of that when hunting. they are constantly putting that into the scent stream even with all the other precautions. Believe it or not hunting was one of the big factors and motivators in me quiting smoking. Ive been deer hunting for 22 years now. I regularly harvest 2 deer a year. But I rarely get an opportunity at a record class animal. They have been around. A nice 160 class non-typical 15 pt. was regularly skirting me by 50-60 yards and i never knew it until someone else shot him. I believe he knew I was there and skirted me regularly. Deer wind us all the time. Especially the mature ones. A young deer can be alarmed but still continue forward until there nose fills up. But a mature animal, buck or doe, will deviate there course immediately at first doubt. And the thing is almost nobody witnesses this unless they're buddy is across the field or woodlot to see it. The nose of a deer is keen. And when we are out there hunting, especially durring the rut. Bucks are constantly cruising and scent checking. Their concentration is on what they smell, looking for that hot doe. I myself only hunt a spot if the wind is favorable and benifit from multiple locations. But as we have all witnessed, those bucks come from anywhere when they're out looking for a piece of ass! lol Just remember that the little things count in scent control. even the mouth. BTW thanks for the tip on chlorophyl Woods Walker. What a great piece of info that i will definately have to try.
Venison - the other red meat

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:42 am

Here is a simple easy way to eliminate breathe odor, if your the type that is concerned about it or believes in it.  Frankly, I'm not sold on the whole being busted by breathe theory, but for everyone's sake, just in case here is a link many of you may be interested in.  I have yet to hand over my hard earned cash for this gimmick, but then again, I own carbon activitated clothing now and killed bucks without it years prior, so go figure, ha[:D]

http://www.huntingscience.com/
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

twotone3

Postby twotone3 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:20 am

I don't get concerned whether I'm breathing through my nose or mouth.  I do however use a free breath freshener.  I just go to my closest pine tree and yank some nice green needles down and chew on those before I go out.  Yes they may not get rid of any scent in my mouth but anyone I talk to says I smell like a pine tree.  So now that I smell more like their natural surroundings, I don't worry.  Problem solved and once again it is free. 

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:27 am

Need to try that chlorophyl buisness.

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:19 am

Back to the original question of mouth or nose,  I try to keep my mouth shut and only use my nose.  But I am very pleased to find this thread because I, like JPH, am so anal of my scent control, that at times It's almost a hinderance to get prepared.  So the newest addition to my scent plan WILL BE chlorophyll tablets. 

Thanks for the tip Woodswalker!!
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

speakerboxx

Postby speakerboxx » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:05 pm

This seems to help calm me unless the rack is too big and then I worry more about the smell coming from the opposite end more!! Panman
ORIGINAL: Panman1949

-lol

I read a piece that said that 90% of human odor comes from the mouth.  I can't say if this is true, but it sounds possible.  I try to breath from my nose as much as possible.  If I get excited I try to breath in with my mouth and out through my nose.  This seems to help calm me unless the rack is too big and then I worry more about the smell coming from the opposite end more!!Image Panman

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices