ADVICE- Best 1st Deer gun for a 7 year old girl?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
GTOHunter

RE: ADVICE- Best 1st Deer gun for a 7 year old girl?

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:04 pm

Lots of great advice here and I like the idea's from Everyday Hunter about working your Step Daughter up a little at a time to get use to the idea of getting use to shooting a gun and working her way up and the advice from Mightyfofaad about getting a Youngster ready for the fact that an animals life will be taken.I bought my Daughters a Rossi Youth Gun and I let them shoot the 22LR for a while to get use to it then stepped up to the .243 Rifle with another Tru-Glo red dot scope mounted to it so it felt the same as the 22LR.My oldest Girl shot her first Deer at the age of 12 years old.I tried to have her use my Browning .243 Rifle but it was too long and heavy for either of them to use or handle.

If You can get a Youth Rifle that has the shorter stock and can add the longer stock as they grow up and get bigger it would save a lot of money in the long run.As Shaman stated you need to see how much recoil a gun has and if you choose a gun with a shorter stock and barrel the recoil will increase.  

Faedrus

Postby Faedrus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:06 pm

I have to agree with Mightyfofaad on idea of working up to a bullet-firing rifle. Any calibre is enough to kill someone so its a lot of responsibility. I work with 7 year olds all day and a gun that fires little suction cups seems most appropriate. I started hunting later in life but some of my non-hunting friends got turned off by early experiences with guns when they were in their early teens. So start small and work up slowly as their interest grows

longbeards

Postby longbeards » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:24 pm

I bought my nine yr old son the youth H&R single shot .243 for the 08 deer season. He has taken 4 deer with it since, one of them at 140 yards. Great rifle for him. Fits him just right. I put a 40mm scope on it to gather the most light. He also took a nice 6pt with a T/C Encore 7mm-08. Light recoil and a lotta punch. Both the .243 and 7mm-08 have a light recoil but pack enough punch to put the smack down on any whitetail making the mistake of being on the business end of these rifles. Just my opinion. Oh, I gotta say it is a thrill to watch your son or daughter putting the smack down by the way.

rob

NC Deer Hunter

Postby NC Deer Hunter » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:23 am

The good ole 30-30

readyholster

Re: ADVICE- Best 1st Deer gun for a 7 year old girl?

Postby readyholster » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:16 am

Here is a top 10 list of the best guns for women.  Items 9 and 10 are pretty funny, but the rest of the list is a great look at guns for women.For more info http://www.readyholster.com/blog/the-10-best-guns-for-women VISIT the site.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:28 am

I don't see where a bunch of semi-auto handguns have any bearing on this thread. Seeing as though the last post was in 2010, maybe you're just looking for some free advertising for your weblog???

This was your 1 and only post so far.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:33 pm

.357mag handi rifle simple to use almost no recoil just check that the round is legal in your area. don't start to big recoil causes flinching in yong shooters.

Previous

Return to Guns and Ammo