Can't Live without it?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: Can't Live without it?

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:52 pm

ORIGINAL: RatherBeHuntin24/7

My cellphone keeps me entertained. you know..text the gf, check the weather, text the huntin partner, check the weather again, play some pacman, aaannnd check the weather. repeat process for the next 3 hours

I'm guessing that playing games on the cell phone is a generational thing. I think at 37, I am just on the other side of that generation. I carry my phone for safety and so that my wife can text me with something important, but I'd really rather not need it.

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:52 pm

I always have at least one knife on me as well as a Zippo and a handkerchief.  With that I can survive for awhile. 
So what else?
I would say a flash light for sure and then a toss up between cell phone and binocs for number two.  I guess i could live without any of them but I don't want to.  If I'm going to the stand I'll have those three things gun or bow hunting.  I even forgot a long sleeve shirt our first 30 degree night on the stand but I remembered those 3 items[:)]

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:02 am

knife and a lighter

richtaber

Postby richtaber » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:27 am

With me I always have a $10 Silva compass and a water bottle.  I do like to knoiw how to get in and out of tghe woods.  Where I live cell phones don't work all that well. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:54 pm

"I'm guessing that playing games on the cell phone is a generational thing. I think at 37, I am just on the other side of that generation. I carry my phone for safety and so that my wife can text me with something important, but I'd really rather not need it. "

Yeah you don't know what your missing JPH you can go on the internet and see what everybody is doing on here!!!

I use mine to check weather and check some sites out before hunting opens or on a all day sit Ill play around at midday a little.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:08 pm

1st thing would be my lucky spike antler from a deer I shot when I was a kid.

2nd would be a cell phone in case of emergency.
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:38 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: RatherBeHuntin24/7

My cellphone keeps me entertained. you know..text the gf, check the weather, text the huntin partner, check the weather again, play some pacman, aaannnd check the weather. repeat process for the next 3 hours

I'm guessing that playing games on the cell phone is a generational thing. I think at 37, I am just on the other side of that generation. I carry my phone for safety and so that my wife can text me with something important, but I'd really rather not need it.

yeah i was exaggerating some, and if i forget it my first thought is "man i hope nothing happens to me today". but i admit i can have a hard time sitting still when nothins goin on without it

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Always my cell phone for safety reasons and to text message my hunting buddies. It passes the time and much quieter than radios. Also unscented lip balm.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:15 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

What GPS do you use?  I've been thinking about geting one, but would prefer one I can download satellite images to.

If your looking to get the best on the market I would go with the Lowrance ifinder hunt c.  Although pricey, I bought one about a year or so ago and it is built for hunting and has fully functional color mapping on it.  You can even download topographic and terrain features to it with the mapping software that you can also buy for it from Lowrance.  Simply put, I will never buy another gps for many many years as it is quick to register satellites and has every function I could ever ask for and then some such as barometric pressure, weather updates, mp3 player, and a page full of symbols to mark points such as buck rub, scrape, blind, stand, bedding area for instance.  I try not to push to many items on this forum, but I never leave home without this gadget when I hit the woods.  That and my knife of course!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:46 am

I always carry my cell pohne (for saftey and wife calls) and a lighter (the ability to make fire is the one thing that separtes us from the animals).

Close 3rd an 4th would be cap light and I alwys wear a ball cap to keep my hands free and see at the same time.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Previous

Return to General Discussions