Daylight Savings Time

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Daylight Savings Time

Postby shaman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:56 am

Well, it's almost upon us again, the change from Daylight Savings Time. I'm here at the Blackhole Institute for Advanced Whitetail Studies trying to get the low-down on how the change affects deer. I want y'all to know that Scooter has recovered most of the use of his right arm after that run-in with the buck last year. We won't be trying to get any basal temperatures out of the bucks this year.

No, this year, we've got buddies from the local RC plane club down to use drone technology on the deer. This is going to be exciting.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Re: Daylight Savings Time

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:15 am

By all means Shaman....drone on, and on, and on..... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:08 am

Back in from the CP, where the team is still correlating data. I just thought I'd let you know the deer ARE moving a full hour earlier than yesterday. We saw a nice buck at the periphery of a herd of doe. He was definitely affected by the change-- looked irritable. The doe were thoroughly disinterested and uncooperative.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:56 am

I think it affects my young children's sleeping habits more than it affects the deer!!

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Shaman,

I did a little research of my own. I was able to harvest a young nine point buck Sunday at 9:30 a.m. I guess I should feel guilty about taking him while he was under duress from the DST change, but I don't.

This is my first archery deer. The more I archery hunt, the more I appreciate firearms season.

Take care!
2012 Buck - 9 point crossbow - reduced (640x361).jpg
2012 Buck - 9 point crossbow - reduced (640x361).jpg (259.66 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
Semper Fi,

Joe

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Look how tired and worn out that poor deer looks. He must have lost sleep from the time change.

It's positively insane that we go around talking about the so-called "challenge" of hunting with archery equipment and then turn around and take these poor deer when they are so incapacitated.

I , for one, am glad I hold off an extra week so I have the true challenge of shooting deer when they are more themselves.

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Yes, Shaman, he needed a good dirt nap. I was more than happy to help him out with that.

Good luck with the rest of your research. Hopefully Scooter will fare better this year than in years past. That poor kid needs a raise.

Take care!
Semper Fi,

Joe

croz2173

Postby croz2173 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:30 am

I swear i saw one adjust his watch with his nose Monday.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:18 am

Well, it's almost upon us again, the change from Daylight Savings Time. I'm here at the Blackhole Institute for Advanced Whitetail Studies trying to get the low-down on how the change will play into the rut. Scooter as volunteered to man a pit blind underneath a robotic deer decoy in an attempt to capture data on rutting bucks before and after the time change.

Look, whatever folks say for and against DST, one thing is certain. It HAS an effect on deer. Now whether you want to capitalize on it or that you think that is taking unfair advantage of the game is up to you. I am just here to present the data. So far no state has seen fit to close the season on deer over DST weekend. My personal feeling, as it is with baiting and other controversial practices, is that you first have to look at what is legal in your state and then make your own choice.

How do you all feel?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:29 am

I understand that Mossy Oak is coming out with a time change camo pattern. With the coloring and shadow patterns used it makes the hunter look like he's an hour earlier. For an extra $200 you can get in in Scent Lock.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to General Discussions