Hawkeye State Deer Hunters!

JPH

Hawkeye State Deer Hunters!

Postby JPH » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:39 am

I just wanted to kick off the Iowa forum with introductions.

My name is Joe Hogan. I'm 36 yrs. old, married with two kids. I make my living as a firefighter in Des Moines.

I live in Warren Co. and hunt several small properties along the I-35 corridor. I also own a small woodlot just across the Missouri border.

My primary passion is bow hunting but I also take advantage of the firearms seasons. 

In adition to being an avid deer and turkey hunter, I am active in my church and involved in fitness/athletics.

I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow Iowa hunters (resident and non-resident alike), so please chime in.

Iowabucks

RE: Hawkeye State Deer Hunters!

Postby Iowabucks » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:11 am

Hi Joe, My name is Jerry Lee. I live and work in Muscatine. Hunt about 30 minutes south of here. I work at a corn processing plant in town. Currently locked out right now. I wont get into that, it another story in it's own. I'm 43 years old and have bowhunted for about 18 years. I also use the smokepole every year too. I was a little slow getting my early season tag this year and they sold out. Guess i will have to try late season for the first time.

I really love my trailcameras. I build my own homebrews and i believe there isn't a commercial cam out there that could touch them. I have 7, along with one video unit. (yes, it is adddicting.). That usually keeps me busy all summer. I hunt some private property down by Columbus Junction. About 150 acres. Hunted there for 4 years so far. I took a 185" buck with my bow last Oct 9th. Had 45 pictures last year of what should be a 200" deer this year, all during the day. Found one of his sheds so he should still be around, but no pictures yet this year. Thats kinda got me bummed. Can't wait to get out as soon as October gets here.

Nice to meet you Joe.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:41 am

Hey it's great to meet you! I was starting to think I was the only IA hunter on the forum.

I'm glad you posted about the homebrew trail cameras. I have a good digital camera that I dropped. It ruined the screen, but is otherwise perfect. I want to turn it into a trail camera but have no isea how to go about it. I'd love some advice.

Sounds like you've had some awesome success and may be set for some more very soon. Good luck!

tufman

Postby tufman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:26 am

Hey guys ,
GO HAWKS ,
Hi my name is Randy Tuftee live in Scott county,work for alcoa in Dav.
49 yrs old , 
  I hunt in monore county by alibia ,iowa for the past 28 years
love to shoot the 16 gauge, and shoot slide lock muzzleloaders.
The new slug guns are impressive ,for  me I love the old guns
Taking my J. Armstrong 50 cal. long rifle this year.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:00 am

Good to meet you Randy! I was starting to think I had the whole state to myself.

hendo64

Postby hendo64 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Hey everyone ya got 1 more to add from Iowa! My name is Matt Henderson I am 23 years old (24 this november) I have 2 children at ages 3 and 1 who my girlfriend and I love more than anything. I live work and hunt in monroe county Iowa. I wrk at Kness mfg its a mouse trap factory in Albia. I also hunt alittle in apponoose county. I have been bow hunting for 2 years now this will be my 3rd season and I am hoping for my 1st kill. I have a good feeling bout this season and have learned a lot from my mistakes and from everyone on this website

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Well, it doesn't look like there is a lot going on here in the Iowa page but I'll do my part. My name is Josh, I'm 25 live in Madrid with my wonderful wife, a son that is two and another kid on the way. I work for Xenia Rural Water District out of Bouton. I love bow hunting, but also like to get out for the shotgun season. I do my bow hunting in Boone and Story Counties, and shotgun where ever our group decides to go.

The bow season is in full swing with the rut well under way, but Good Luck to all and Congrats to those that have been successful already.

pseuser

Postby pseuser » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:17 am

Good Morning Gents,
Going out on a limb here, I'm a vermonter who recently purchased a camp in South-Central Iowa, Appanoose county in the small town of Unionville.
Any information that you could give me in regards to public land hunting in or around that area and also NE Missouri would be greatly appreciated.  I'm about 25 miles from the Missouri border so I hope to fill the voids with that state when I don't draw in Iowa.
I will be doing strictly archery hunting as my job doesn't allow for much travel late in the season...
As I am new to the area and state, any advice/information would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks for your time
Mark

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:12 am

Welcome pseuser! Congrats on your purchase. Appanoose Co. has some great hunting, I used to hunt that area myself.

I too border jump between Iowa and Missouri (living in IA but owning land in MO). My personal experience is with NW MO but I have traveled through the NE region as well. The MO Dept. of Conservation publishes a county by county list of public hunting areas in their deer/turkey hunting handouts each year. You can find a copy online. Another good option might be a year to year lease in MO. Leasing is more common in in MO than it is in IA (prob. b/c of the over the counter Non-res tags). You should not have much trouble finding a lease in the area south of Appanoose.

I'm not sure if you are also looking for public land in Iowa. If you are, Steven's Forest is a great option. There are many units spread across south cent. Iowa. From what I hear, they are way under hunted during bow season.

One other issue to consider is the difference between the season scheduling of the two states. You said you would not be able to gun hunt Iowa (early-Dec.) but remember MO holds it's gun season in mid-Nov. If you draw an Iowa bow tag, you may still want to pack a rifle and explore MO.

I'm happy to help if you need/want more info. Send me a PM.

Powell1120

Re: Hawkeye State Deer Hunters!

Postby Powell1120 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Been kind of dead on the Iowa page for a while now...any one new to the state or hunting it as a non resident?

Next

Return to Iowa