H&R Handi-Rifle Anyone?

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
69Viking

H&R Handi-Rifle Anyone?

Postby 69Viking » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:50 am

I've found a good deal on an H&R Handi-Rifle in .25-06 that I'm thinking about getting for my son's first deer rifle.  Has anyone owned an H&R gun and what do you think of them?  H&R was purchased by Marlin in 2000 so regardless the quality should be good.

howhill1

RE: H&R Handi-Rifle Anyone?

Postby howhill1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:29 pm

recieved a h&r topper .410 for my 8th or 9th christmas and still have it. recently bought a handi rifle in .243 for otes. i love it. othin fancy just plain old american reliabilty.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

wack

Postby wack » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:01 am

I've been shooting a NEF Handy rifle in 30-06 for about 17 years. Great little gun. Over the years I've heard a lot of comments about my little single shot. Those who have hunted with me, know that when I shoot, it's time to go get the truck.
 Now these are no where near the cost of a Thompson Center single shot. The wood may not be as pretty, the bluing not as tough, and the trigger might not be as crisp, but over all they have a pretty darn good trigger. If you get one and the trigger pull is too high, you can send it back and they'll fix it. I've sold about 1 dozen of these rifles and only 1 person felt the need to return the gun to get a lighter trigger and to be honest,I talked him into sending it back, but he also had 3 other barrels added. His trigger came in at 6.5 lbs, it came back with 4.5 lbs and it took about 5 weeks to get it back. It was still NEF then, probably still made in the same building what ever name is on it now.
 Like the TC you can get a lot of different barrels for the Handy rifle, but unlike the TC, you have to send the gun in to get new barrels and fore ends fitted. A very small inconvenience considering the TC barrels are like $400 compared to under $100 for Handy Rifle barrels and under $200 for the rifle compared to what a TC costs. You get a lot of gun for the money with a Handy Rifle, you pay a lot for the name when you buy a TC. Shop around, find a FFL dealer, I priced one at a local dealer about 1 1/2 years ago, and it was $350 to order. Bad deal. Found the same thing in SS from a local FFL dealer for under $200.
 I got my Handy Rifle in about 1991. It's been through hell and back and looks like it. Stock is all scratched up, have some dings and rust spots in the bluing, it's been out in rain, freezing rain, sleet, hail, snow, it's been dropped, kicked, banged around, and yet I set the scope in '91 and have never had to adjust the scope since.  It's just as accurate now as it was out of the box.
 I think the Handy Rifle is a great gun for beginner or pro. I wish more people would use single shots and start hunting with the 1 shot 1 kill attitude. When I'm ready to get another Handy Rifle I think I'd go with the stainless steel version. My biggest concern with my gun is the bluing. SS has to be tougher than this bluing. You'd know better than I as to what caliber is best for your area and style hunting. I can say it's a heavy enough gun that my 30-06 doesn't kick real bad, but 20 rounds at the range is about enough for me. With all the money you save, you could spend $50 on a Breako mercury kick suppressor and install it in your stock bolt hole to sweeten it up for the kid. My thinking was I had just so much money and wanted an accurate gun. A solid gun with a great scope? or a great gun with a cheap scope? If I remember right, I paid $169 for the gun new, $200 for the(3.5-12x55mm)  scope and had enough money left over to get mounts, sling and case.   Dollar for dollar, shot for shot, dead deer after dead deer that little gun has never let me down, never froze up, never jambed, and is the most dependable gun I've ever owned, (being a former FFL dealer, I've owned a lot of guns.) Put a real good scope on that gun for your son, teach him to shoot it and take care of it, he'll have a good dependable deer rifle for life.

American by birth, hunter by choice.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:04 am

Thanks for the reply and I have to agree.  I haven't shot it yet but I love the solid feel, the simplicity, and of course American Made.  You can't beat the price, $249.99 at Bass Pro and what a smile it put on my 11 year old son's face when he opened it.  We'll be sighting it in Friday and taking it to Conecuh County Alabama for the youth hunt on Saturday and Sunday.  If all goes well I'll be able to put him in a good spot to get his first deer.

wack

Postby wack » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:30 am

Stainless steel or blued? Open sights or scope? Details?  I'm sure he'll be happy. When I first got mine, I put an ammo band on the stock that held 10 rounds. Don't do it. I lost more ammo than I shot that way and scratched up the stock. I hunted in the rain one year only to find the next year 9 of 10 rounds I carried got wet and wouldn't fire. I fired 2 duds at a nice buck, the only let down I've had with this gun, and it wasn't the gun. It was my fault. What ever you choose to carry ammo, dry and secure is more important than speed. Maybe an ammo pouch for his wrist?
 Just curious, what's dear old dad going to be shooting? I know I've put my Handy rifle up against all kinds of expensive guns and have done very well. You may get to the range and find out Jr. has the better gun. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:39 am

It is blued, has no sights, but has a Weaver scope mount rail so I've put a decent 3-9 x 40 Tasco scope on it.  Don't laugh, that scope was on my 30-30 before I upgraded and took 5 deer in 4 years without a miss.  It's a .25-06 so I think that will be perfect for his 5'2" 110 pound frame, keep in mind he's only 11.  I ended up being 6'4" 250 pounds so he's still got some growing to do! 

I appreciate the input on the ammo band, that's great advice I'll heed.  He actually suggested we get him a nice belt that will hold a few rounds. 

Ok, my gun is a Marlin 336W  30-30, by no means an expensive gun.  You're right, on long distance accuracy he should have me when you consider my 22" barrel up against his 26" barrel.  I can tell you though I'm dead on at 200 yards with that 30-30 using the Hornady 160 gr. LeveRevolution shells so he's got some practicing to do!  Thanks again for you input! 

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Man, you are fortunate that your son is growing up enough to hunt with you and is interested.  My boy is only three and I cant wait until he's old enough to go-and I hope he wants to!

deerblaster

Postby deerblaster » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:17 am

I traded a horse for an NEF 308 handi rifle with scope and I love this gun. It is a little heavy, but the small size compensates for that. I have heard and read numerous complaints about the innacuracy of the smaller caliber handi rifles.

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:53 pm

I had one before in .45-70.  Used to be you could send in the action to NEF and you could order other barrels for it.  They need the action to properly fit and headspace the other barrels.  Shotgun and other rifle barrels (calibers) as well.  It wasn't as polished as my other guns, but it was very functional, reliable, and accurate.  A buddy of mine has a .270 and he likes it as well. 
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

jerrybrown1949@sbcgl

Postby jerrybrown1949@sbcgl » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:58 pm

I have an H&R  with the brown laminated stock with a heavy barrel in 223.  My gun will shoot any ammo in under an inch (100 yards).  The only problem is for my 10 year old it is a little heavy and the trigger is a little rough.
I have shot my 52 gr. match hand loads in this gun in sub 1/2" five shot groups.  For an in-expensive gun. I don't know what else you could ask. 
the old southpaw

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo