who out there resides in michigan

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Archery_NUT

who out there resides in michigan

Postby Archery_NUT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:15 pm

just wondering who here also resides in michigan and what luck they have been since i have not much luck myself
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

paulie

RE: who out there resides in michigan

Postby paulie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Well Archery_Nut, I live in Gregory (Livingston co). I hunt two small, properties, one here in Gregory(5 acres), and one(40 acres) in Stockbridge(Ingham co). I've been out several times this season (being out of work,I have plenty of free time). I have seen ten different bucks and a couple good does but, so far the only"opprotuities" I've had were young deer(five 1 1/2 yr old bucks, and a couple fawns). The chances were there, but I did'nt want to shoot a buck that is still wearing his first set of antlers. I'm not a "trophy hunter", I have no problem shootin does, and I have killed my share of yearling bucks(1 1/2 yr olds).  But I have come a point were I would to like to kill a mature buck. I dont care how big his rack is, I just want an old, wise, (hard to kill) deer! I dont recall the exact #'s but, here in Michigan, something like 80 or 90 % of the total buck harvest are 1 1/2 yr old deer!  And most of the remaining #'s are 2 1/2 yr olds!  There are very few "mature" bucks shot in this state, "why" because the majority of hunters shoot the first legal buck they see! I'm not saying thats wrong, I'm just sayin I wont do it! So back to the point of this post, Yes I have had some luck, I havent killed a deer yet, but the opprotunity was there.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:59 pm

I have had very good luck this season, dispite the baiting bans. I have seen several deer. I could have shot about 80-85% of them. Looking back on it, I did'nt shoot a few times because I felt the shot was a little akward. However after shooting my bow a little more I know I could have made the shot. I shot a nice 3pt on Oct 30th. I have hunted in a stand where I call the pines.. Its got a bedding area/food source in front, with a thicket to the right side and a swamp behind me. I am placed right along one of the run ways leading into the bedding area. I have hunted this stand I believe 8 or 9 times. 6 or more of the times I have seen a deer. I have'nt gotten skunked in a while. I was very worried about the no baiting ban and already having my stands hung but this stand seems to be paying off. It is on state land and Im going to the UP for gun season. Im happy I was able to take a buck out of there before gun started other wise it would have been very hard, as the deer seem to fanish. My other stands (4) I have also seen deer out of dispite hardly hunting them. The one stand I have hunted 4 times and seen a total of 8 deer out of it. However I like hunting my pine stand the most as its produced the most deer and I just love sitting in that tree. Dont get me wrong, I have had my fair amount of struggles and dissapointments as well. Hang in there and hunt as much as you can, sooner or later it will pay off.

Note: I have yet to see a nice buck out of this stand yet. I know there is one in there, he just hasnt come walking my way. In the past I have seen several bucks out of this stand. 2 years ago I saw 31 different bucks including a large 8 and a mounter 10. Last year I saw 17 different bucks out of it. Including the biggest deer I have seen while hunting a big 12. Sadly I missed them.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ironmike

Postby ironmike » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:26 am

HI
there i live in mich all my life so far. have seen lots of deer so far been out the last two week's.
I have yearling with in ten feet of me at times. seen a nice eight point  two night ago chasing
a doe around and a four point out there to. lot's of doe around the aera here. in the thumb[:)]

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:27 am

i have seen only three bucks this years one was a three opening morning of bow season and it was to far away, the other ran out across the road where i hunt, and the other u might not even count as a buck. but hopefully i can get up to da UP eh([;)]) and shoot a buck like i shot my fist last year with my uncles at deer camp
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 am

Hey guys, i live in the SE corner of MI, about an hour north of Detroit. Been hunting since it was legal for me to man my own gun and this is my first year bow hunting. I have taken 2 bucks (5pt (broken tine) should of been a 6pt, and a 6pt) in my life and a a couple does, none with a bow yet :/ But i have seen 2 bucks while on stand and about 4-5 others while driving home from some stand land in the thumb. I saw a 4pt walk by while pre season scouting one night, and i thought i saw a huge doe on opening day but after seeing a buck with some serious rack damage that my buddy missed, im thinking it was the same deer, same body posture and everything, it looked really similar when i saw it before he took the shot. But i have also heard a couple more bucks that i could not pin point, they were in some extremely thick cover and i didnt wanna move to much and totally spook em out of the area, i heard them grunting though, i heard another that circled downwind and busted me. So i keep telling myself they are out there i just need some luck lol ;) I missed a 25 yd shot at a doe earlier in oct. and should of had another one opening bow morning but she spooked just before i let the arrow fly. But it has been a pretty productive year so far. I like just seeing deer, and i have seen about 12 or so from one stand this year (thats good for me lol!) I'm heading up to the thumb for opening morning gun, and ill probly go there for sunday as well. Their is a lot more sign up there than here it seems. But good luck to you all and good shooting!!

Return to General Discussions