Michigan field notes New

mag30079

Michigan field notes New

Postby mag30079 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:41 am

How's everyone's hunts going this year?

I've been out twice this year, I gained access to a new farm in Southern Michigan. I spent the first time out just learning the property, I went out yesterday early morning. About 8am I heard some twigs snap and somthing moving close by. The area is kind of thick, I looked up and saw what I thought was a fawn. Then I heard another deer slightly behind me, I assumed it was the momma doe to the fawn. It was a big tall 6 point with thick mass antlers (from what I could tell up in the tree). Then I noticed that was no fawn, it was 1.5 year old 4 point, it just looked like a fawn next to this buck. No shot was given, so I just watched and learned there habits. After that out came 14 turkey.

I'm going back in 2 weeks
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

mag30079

Re: Michigan field notes New

Postby mag30079 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:39 pm

I've seen a lot of rubs and scrapes compared to last year. Charles rut dates should be right on, The week of Oct 28th is gonna be fantastic.

Whats everyone else seeing?
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

bigbuckbagger11

Postby bigbuckbagger11 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey Mag,
I only got the chance to head out for a few days the first week of the season. I live in Jackson, but hunt around mid-Michigan (Merrill, if you've heard of it). Saw quite a few does, one massive buck about 75 yards out. I tried rattling him back, because there are a lot of bucks in the area that I hunt, but to no avail. I did have my first shot at a buck around 30 yards, but I rushed the shot and hit him forward. Tracked blood for about 600 yards, but then lost it. Really frustrated with myself, but I get the chance to head back and hunt this weekend. The property I hunt is surrounded by soybeans and corn fields (my father and grandfather's farms). Great area with lots of deer, but always tends to be more difficult for me in bow season to actually see deer close enough to shoot at. I'm hopefull that this weekend yields something positive. My brother has already taken two 8-points off the same property.

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Well I went bow hunting for the only time I will get the chance this year. Saw a large group of does, no where near close enough to shoot, but one might have been the biggest doe I have ever seen. And my buddy shot at one in another group (missed clean). These encounters both occurred right at day light. Saw some signs of scrapes but otherwise very little activity. No sign in the afternoon may have been due to an in coming thunder storm that cut our trip short. Hopefully opening weekend of rifle brings more luck.

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:13 am

Saw an immature buck chasing a couple of does around a cut soy bean field at 9:30 in the morning yesterday in Taylor. Don't know if he is late or a little early but it is a sign something is still in the chasing phase.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:43 am

Have the EHD report/death numbers finally ceased?
Haven't seen an update in sometime
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Well near Mount Pleasant where I hunt say tons of activity from both bucks and does and signs of a monster. Shot a couple of freezer fillers and hoping for a wall hanger sometime in the next few days. But hey just being out beats the heck out of work. How's everyone else's hunt looking?

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 am

Hey I hunted in Sumner! Actually stopped in MT Pleasant on the way to Jay's.

THis was a banner year indeed for volumes of deer sightings! I saw around 70 over the week.
Buck, does, fawns etc.
I did notice a number of smaller does this year. But compared to the sightings I had last year opening week................waaaaay better.

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:11 pm

36 days until opening day of bow...are we getting excited yet? If you had only one weekend to hunt all of October would you do early, mid, or late?

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:33 am

I've been getting some pics from my cousins place just east of Gratiot county.
Making me jealous.I'd love to archery hunt up that way. ..........on year maybe. I'll have to be happy with rifle for now.
Hopefully you fella's won't take em all by Nov 15th, save me a nice one will ya :D

Next

Return to Michigan