what happened to the Buck I shot???

lhdg865

what happened to the Buck I shot???

Postby lhdg865 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:34 pm

Hey all, I am very sad to report that last Saturday I lost an easy 150" ten point after I hit him at ten yards.  The shot looked to go low and right behind the right leg.  My arrow broke off about 4" from the broad head and there was blood around the arrow another 4" or so.  I found good blood for about 150-200 yards and than he went up a 10' creek bank and left only drops for another 30 yards.  I looked all over and 80 acre area for 6 hours on Sunday and was never able to recover the buck.  Has anyone had this happen before?  The only thing I can figure is that at that angle I bust have hit the bottom of his rib cage and when he spun around it snapped the arrow.  I guess I am looking for some moral support in hopes that the deer may have made it.  Thanks and good luck hunting.

JPH

RE: what happened to the Buck I shot???

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Need a little more info. Are you saying that the arrow did not pass through? What sound did the impact make? How did the deer behave at the shot? How did he run?

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:03 pm

It could be that you had a leg shot.  I had a doe I shot in the leg and she had a good blood trail for about 200 yards and found the spot where she stood for awhile and there was a pool of blood but after that just drops here and there.  I never did find the doe but thats what it sounds like you did.  

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:22 am

That is exactly what I was thinking. If there was a loud sound at impact, if the deer did not kick and if he limped while running away, I'd be sure of it.

lhdg865

Postby lhdg865 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:04 pm

The arrow did not pass through and there wasn't really a loud impact sound.  He ran off about 20 yards and than just walked the rest of the way.  He looked hurt, but was not limping at all.  The shot looked low and frontal, so I guess it is possible it was a leg shot, but he didn't limp at all.  I think maybe I caught the lower part of the rib cage and the arrow deflected.  I don't know!!!  It just really stinks.  Hopefully he survived.  Anyway, I'll be back in the woods Friday about noon and than I'll break out the 30-06 for Saturday.  Good luck!!

Return to Missouri