buckwild

Re: Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Postby buckwild » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:31 pm

bouhunter - glad you found your tags!
Semper Fidelis!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 pm

I been hearing reports of good buck movement today, and know of two big bucks that were shot today by folks I know. Anyone hear, or see any good action yesterday or today?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Wow is all I can say about hunting this weekend. I had a great weekend in the stand. The chasing was definitely peaking! On friday morning I went out and as I was getting all geared up for the hunt I heard a deer walking my way. So I grabbed my bow and I got a huge surprise, it ended up being a doe and three bucks! They were all 1 1/2 year olds but it was fun watching them chase her around. Once I got to my stand I saw 12 more deer. So my morning hunt ended with 16 deer sightings and five of those were bucks (some of the does might have been repeats but the bucks were all different bucks).

On friday afternoon I went to a different treestand. When I was getting close to my stand I saw a good looking buck cruising passed my stand, so I snuck up to the fenceline and looked for him but couldn't find him again. Then I got to my tree and I heard something off to the south, where the buck had been going, I looked over there and sure enough there he is walking right towards me. He jumped the fence 15 yards away and walked through a shooting lane at 14 yards, and I was still on the ground!! Unfortunately, there were no shots taken because he was only 3 1/2 years old 8 point. Just one more year for him. The evening ended with 13 deer sightings and five of those were again bucks, so I seen a total of 29 deer and 10 were bucks! And that was just friday!

On saturday morning the action was still good but no big buck sightings. I again switched stands for my evening hunt and as I was walking out there I got another surprise. As I rounded a corner I saw a doe running through the field right towards me but nothing was following her. I knocked an arrow, since it is that time of year, and continued my walk once she was out of sight. When I seen her again she was looking at me and eventually trotted off, but this time that big 3 1/2 year old 8 point came busting out of the woods after her. She then stopped in the field and he stopped as well. Then he looked into the woods and took off running right into the woods where he was looking. As soon as he entered the woods a 2 1/2 year old 10 point ran out. The 8 point then followed him and was looking for a fight but the younger buck didn't feel like getting beat up I guess because he went the other way fast. When the field cleared I walked to my stand. Right at last light I seen a really good looking 10+ point 3 1/2 year old searching for does. The day ended with 16 deer sightings.

I didn't make it out sunday morning but sunday night I sat in my stand and managed to see 7 deer but no bucks over the age of 1 1/2.

Sorry for such a long story but it was a very exciting weekend in the woods for me. I only wish the kid I've been teaching the wonderful sport of bowhunting was able to get out in the woods with me this weekend because I think somewhere in here I'd be telling you about the buck he shot :) Unfortunately he was sick this weekend so hopefully something will be moving next weekend for him. Good luck to everyone out there this week and as always hunt safe!
Addicted to hunting!!

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Great report big 8!
Semper Fidelis!

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:21 am

Great report Big8, great experiences!

This is the last weekend of the early bow season for my son and I to head to Necedah. Hopefully we can see some rut activity, but with a strong storm front moving in Sat and lasting through Sunday, maybe food is the place to sit? It's been a crap-shoot for us this year; we're hunting hard and seeing some deer, but not as much as I had hoped and not as much chasing and seeking as one would expect since Halloween.

But we'll hunt hard again this weekend. I have Monday off as well, so hopefully something moves past one of the stands!! Man, this season went fast!

Good luck everyone!
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:44 pm

This season isn't turning out the way I hoped. Sat all day on public with the wind blowing in my favor. Seen one yearling coming out of a marsh 40 yards right as I was setting up this morning. That was it.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:45 pm

i was on vacation the last week of oct, hunted all but 2 days and seen deer almost every day. last weekend ,sat. had a doe come in with a giant buck trailing her, she boogerd and ran off with him following. an hour later a nice ten came in on the same trail as the doe did. he got within 5 yards of my stand with me at full draw, but he would not turn broadside. he took 2 steps back then ran behind my stand into the brush and walked off. sunday I went out and saw 1 small buck in the morning , and 2 lone does in the afternoon 60 yards out and walking away. had to be back to work monday ,but now I"m off tommorrow and for a few weeks, I just hope the deer are still cruising and not locked down , here in central wis. good luck and be safe

unclebuck

Postby unclebuck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:51 pm

What county do you hunt in, in central WI Bouhntr?

slidero8

Postby slidero8 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:10 pm

I sat most all day saturday and saw deer all day. Saw several small bucks and had a 21" 8 point following a doe, hang within 75 yards of my stand for close to an hour. He even bedded at one point, ranged him at 54 yards. Never presented me with a high percentage shot. I sat in the hardwoods right on the edge of the thick stuff and all the activity seemed to be in the thick stuff.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:30 am

Finally connected this morning on a 12 yard shot with the buck I call Hightower that I've had on camera for the last 3 years.

He's a 5.5 year old buck, 22" inside spread, 9 pointer with one chipped off brow tine, 12" G2's and 10" G3's.

He went 30 yards, coughed up the lung in the picture, and tipped over.

Came past my stand this morning by himself, but was running hard searching for does.

Made a mouth bleat and he stopped and I was already at full draw, and the rest is history.

hightower1.jpg
Hightower
hightower1.jpg (169.35 KiB) Viewed 869 times
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin