Hunting with the other half? Yes or no?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Hunting with the other half? Yes or no?

Postby Sierra » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Does anyone here hunt with their significant other? I am interested to see how this dynamic works out.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Jslotter

Re: Hunting with the other half? Yes or no?

Postby Jslotter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:47 pm

No, I go solo.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 pm

When we had setters, my wife used to go bird hunting with me, mainly for the dog work.

She's been deer hunting with me when we were in school in Wyoming MANY years ago, not actually shooting but just to be there. She helped gut them and do everything else, just not shoot. I've tried to get her interested but there's two BIG negatives......

1. Getting up early.

2. NO BATHROOM!!!! As she's gotten older (we will be married 37 years this January) this is THE factor!!!

We do have a daughter who's 23 now, and she will bird hunt and when it fits into her life she will start deer hunting much like you have. She used to go with me when she was little and sit in the stand with me. She'd also help me butcher them (I butcher all my deer...) and she LOVES to eat them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:37 pm

"When we had setters".....You sure that shouldn't read "settlers"? i know you have been around a while...... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Why you snot nosed brat! Help me up out of this chair and I'll thump you good!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:52 am

Lol, settlers. It's all perspective. My daughter thinks I am old, and I am 38.

Sounds like you have had good experiences with it. I have been siding with Jslotter on flying solo, but the fiance mentioned hunting with me for the final weekend of gun season. I think the arrangement will be separate stands to cover more ground, however. I am an early bird and he is used to getting up at 3:30 for work so I think we'll be ok there.

I would love to learn how to butcher deer myself whenever I bring one home. A friend of my fiance does it, and he kindly offered to butcher one for me if I get one, for free. (Which I can't sit with that, he'll have to take some form of payment). Perhaps I can learn a little something if I sit in and watch.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:41 am

Don't watch, grab a knife and jump in! That's the best way to learn...get your hands bloody. It's not brain surgery it's....well....pure butchery! :mrgreen:

Your the one's that's going to eat it, who cares if it's not "store pretty"?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:20 pm

With us, you gut your own, (with help from someone who knows how,) you help skin it (if butchering your own) and 1 or 2 will wield the knives while another helps with position, lights, bags, coolers, fresh knives, wash water, battery saw if needed. Everyone learns what is needed next, and jumps to it. We do not separate out all the different cuts, just the backstraps, and tenderloins, and rear quarters. Most of the rest will end up in the crockpot, so who cares if it is pretty? ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

As I mentioned in another post (your question about crossbows), my wife hunts with me. This is the first year that she's really been serious about getting out as much as possible. Ever since she shot her deer last year, she's definitely had the bug. She does have some physical limitations... Not that she isn't capable of walking around the woods and climbing trees, it's more of an elevated risk should she trip or fall... (brittle bone disease)

We have hunted together almost every time out this year. Afternoon hunts are great...but she does put a cramp on my schedule for morning hunts. My stand is almost 3/4 of a mile further in than hers, so I usually end up getting to my stand a little later than I would like after helping her get set up. We have literally sat together on the ground in blowdowns or ground blinds, and that's pretty fun... I like having someone to whisper to and help keep me on point. Being able to watch both directions is a bonus as well. However, I do still enjoy heading out on my own from time to time and getting some solo time in. I think a good balance of being together in the woods and doing your own thing is important. I feel like I'd enjoy it less if it became more like I was a guide for my wife, instead of the "hunting buddy" feel it has for us right now.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Return to General Discussions