What's the going rate on a skull mount?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
4khorn

What's the going rate on a skull mount?

Postby 4khorn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:03 pm

I was wondering what one would expect to pay for a skull mount. I was quoted $150 by one taxidermist, but I thought that seemed kinda high.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

First_Gen

Re: What's the going rate on a skull mount?

Postby First_Gen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Sounds about right, mine was $135 without a backboard, $150 with a walnut back. Next time I'm going to bring them my own piece.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 am

I do mine myself... I think I spent about $15 on a dedicated skull boiling pot, another $20 on some beauticians Hydrogen Peroxide cream for whitening, plus whatever propane I burn while boiling... actual boiling takes a few hours, depending on how much effort you put into fleshing out the skull first. If you've got the time, space, and desire, It's pretty cheap to get it done on your own.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:30 pm

They are advertising at one of out local processing shops $75, but you have to get the deer processed by them. I just got my bear skull back and it was $130. I think it depends on if they have beetles or not, believe it or not a lot of taxidermists ship them out to have them done so it is usually a close ballpark range. If I were you I would check around.

Return to General Discussions