Tree Climbing Spikes

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
DeanoZ

Tree Climbing Spikes

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:24 am

What's everyones opinion about these?  What I'd like to do is get a couple hang on stands for some of my favorite spots so i can get into the stand quickly and quietly..with my self climbing stand I can do neither quickly or quietly and if I decide to hunt a different stand I have to pull my climber off the tree its currently on and drag it in with me, adjust the cables in the dark, etc.  I've thought about using climbing spikes to get in and out of the hang on stands as well as to spot potential shooting lanes and stand sights.  Using these is not an issue in so far as damaging the trees where I hunt and quite frankly my climber tears up the trees more than spikes would.  Thought about the strap on ladders/climbing stiks but I've seen these in the woods and they just seem to stick out like a sore thumb.  Understand the safety issues, but i feel i could get in my stand much quieter and faster...anyone offer their experience with climbing spikes, or an opinion?

PrairieShadow

RE: Tree Climbing Spikes

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:50 am

Its all i use. They are great if you make sure not to space them out to far on the tree. I did just that the first time i used them as it was summer when i hung my stand and was in jeans and a t-shirt. But then it came time to sit and i was all bundled up i felt like only king kong could use those steps.

I agree that the climbing sticks stick out like a sore thumb. And cost way more to boot!
Go with the spikes. they are great.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:56 am

Are you talking about climbing spikes that you strap to your leg?
Stump sittin since 1981

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:33 pm

Yes...that is what I'm talking about.  I'm sure it takes a little getting used to, and from a safety standpoint you have less margin for error.  But the pros in my opinion are the freedom of mobility and ease in getting up and down quickly and more quietly.  Thanks prairieshadow...can you recommend a good pair and where I might get them?

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:20 am

Sorry i was way off the mark on this one. I hvae no experience with the spikes that you are talking about.  I was referring to the screw in spikes.

And i would not recommend strapping these to your legs and trying to climb a tree.[:D]
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:30 am

Oh man...damn, i was hell bent on this too!  I would not mind using the screw in steps but its illegal in the property i hunt to do that

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:24 am

while i have no personal experience with these, i did work with a guy who tried and recommended them to anyone wanting to kill himself(his exact words).however everyone is different what works for one may not work for another.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:28 am

i did work with a guy who tried and recommended them to anyone wanting to kill himself

Thats all i needed to hear...I prefer to live to see another season ;)

dukeriley

Postby dukeriley » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:41 pm

I have a pair of climbing spikes that i used once without any problems but you need a seat of the pants saftey harness I used one for rock climbing.you have to approach the climb like a lumberjack.So rember if you do fall out of your treestand you could end up upside down.Now I dont know what type of climber you have that tears up the trees more than screwins but once you start sticking those spikes into the trees you might see things a little differently.like i said i used mine one time it was in the dark when i hung my chain o.When i arrived at the tree in the morning i was thouroughly disgusted with the damage i did to the tree.the tree has bark for a reason and that is to keep out disease and bugs.I would suggest you do a little better scouting on the ground before you go tearing up perfectly good live trees.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:37 am

DeanZ...I don't understand...Are you worried that your stand might be stolen...or..the deer will notice the climbing stick?

Next

Return to Tree Stands