I hope this is BS

Lot to Learn

I hope this is BS

Postby Lot to Learn » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:56 am

Howdy all, been a while.  If you remember I had permission to hunt a farm, 2nd day in season the farmer got amnesia?? I just got a call that a monster was taken couple days ago from that farm,  240 class, I guess that is it's own class. 16 pts.   My wife was driving buy couple weeks ago and told me she saw a huge buck, told her I don't want to hear it.  anyway, that is the scuttle. Anyone heard anything about this?  Supposedly someone from Springfield is coming down today.  Thanks.

howhill1

RE: I hope this is BS

Postby howhill1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:09 am

my initial guess would be that the farmer got offered tall dollars from siomeone to lease the property if a deer of that caliber had been spotted. but thats just speculation. you hear all kinds of stuff this time of year. some guys get stories started just to irk people. my advice is count your blessings hunt when you can where you can and sooner or later youll be the guy everybody is talkin about. i know it can be frustrating but patience will pay.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:15 am

I know, I read the paper and think of how much worse all the serious stuff can be, I truly do.  In this case there wasn't any money involved, I think the owner is getting senile, he certainly is not in good health. He has a kid that works for him that has the place to himself now and that is who took the buck.  He is from Greenfield so if you see anything in upcoming magazines I guess we will know. 

On the positive, is everyone seeing more bucks this year?  I have not taken anything but have seen some awesome deer. 

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:19 pm

ive seen quite a few this year. only three real good ones. alot of up and comers. settled for a 2 1/2 yr 10 pnt this morn. last day i had to bow hunt before gun season so i lowered my standards a bit. i can relate to what your dealin with though.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:10 am

I got thinking about this last night, I don't want my resentment over losing the deal take anything away from the guy who took the buck, no matter how big it turns out to be. I realize even if I was still hunting in no way does that mean I would have ever seen the buck or even that I wouldn't have had buck fever and missed anyway.   It was just a little salt in the wound in the yesterday. 

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

settled for a 2 1/2 yr 10 pnt this morn.

I would settle for that anyday! Congratulations.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:19 pm

I feel your pain bud!  It stings for a while.  You're doing the right thing by trying to make a positive out of it (ick, that sounds mushy!!! SORRY GUYS!!!).

Keep your spirits up!  Someday the big boy will walk past you!
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:18 am

Lot to Learn I know this an after the fact thing, but I'll throw it out just for future consideration.

Whenever I get permission to hunt someones property I always have them sign an agreement. We have a pre-printed one available in our states (Indiana) hunting guide. That way you can at least show the guy who got a case of convenient amnesia that he is a liar. It may have kept him honest and given you the opportunity (if it was true) to take that buck.

Hang in there. I am still bow hunting my buck and the chances are starting to slim down since firearms started, so I know the feeling.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:24 pm

a wallet size card much like that is available from our dnr. having this on hand makes they're job much easier when determining whether or not someone actually has permission to be on a property.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:06 am

I agree with you all on the permission cards. I even knew about them, just thought I was in solid.  Hind sight. On a serious note, the landowner is in the hospital and they do not expect him to make it out.  So when you put things in perspective seems really petty.  On the positive side, I have been hunting the place I do have as much as I can, which isn't enough, but I have seen 2 nice 160-180 class bucks.  I don't think I can make it out tomorrow so if they survive to the weekend I may get a chance at one.  I will seriously be happy to put a doe in the freezer at this point. I have seen a lot of deer but nothing close enough to pull back on.     Actually my brother in law and me were hunting couple days ago. He stuck a doe in the morning but we couldn't find, tracked for quite a ways and long time but blood just stopped. We decided to switch stands in the afternoon. I had 4 20 yds away behind me, I am right handed on a beagle hang on and could not get turned around. He would have had them. He is left handed and had an 8 point come to his right and he coulndn't get turned. You really just have to laugh.

Next

Return to Illinois